Marrying Miss Featherington

Colin backed out of the room, watching the happy couple hug and wishing once again to be in Benedict's place. Colin had his chance with her and ruined it, and he would be kicking himself for the rest of his life because of it. Colin decided then and there that he could not watch his brother marry the love of his life. So he did what he did best in times of doubt and distress; he ran.

"It is less than a week before the wedding, and your brother is still not here, Eloise. Are you certain that he did not leave any of you a note explaining where he might have gone?"

"I am certain, Pen. Mother turned the house over three times. But it truly is his loss not to see you in this dress on your wedding day. You have never looked more beautiful. Though that green gown you wore to Lady Danbury's ball was gorgeous."

"It is a shame I bled all over Madame Delacroix's hard work." Penelope smiled in an attempt to lighten the mood. However, her mind drifted to the events of that night. It was the night that she and Benedict shared their first kiss. It was heated, passionate, and exciting. But was that all it was? As the wedding approached, Penelope's doubts about her feelings for Benedict only increased. Did she love him as anything more than a close friend? Had she truly moved on from Colin? She remembered the kiss she and Colin shared in the gazebo. It was warm, intimate, and romantic. The kiss felt right. It felt as if she were coming home. She wondered if Colin thought so too. She also wondered if she would ever have the chance to ask him again.

"Penelope? Pen!"

"Huh? Oh, sorry. I was lost in thought."

"With all of this wedding planning, I can understand why. Mother says the carriage is ready for us. I will see you outside, Pen." Penelope nodded. "Pen? I am certain Colin will be here. He wouldn't miss this."

The Bridgerton home crowded with Featheringtons and a select few members of the Ton, including Lady Danbury, who had taken a liking to Penelope recently. Penelope paced back and forth frantically in the guest bedroom where she was to prepare herself. Colin still had not yet come home, and Penelope worried herself. She contemplated if Lady Whistledown might offer her some insight or relief as it often did when she was distressed. It was far too risky, she decided. She was being watched like a hawk, either by Eloise, Violet, her own Mama, or Hyacinth and Gregory, who were excited to gain another sister. If it weren't for tradition, she would hope to speak with Benedict, who always seemed to calm her nerves.

Instead, she decided upon a short walk through the gardens. She stopped in her tracks upon reaching the gazebo. Penelope noticed a man standing with his back to her. Forgetting the improprieties, she assumed it may have been Benedict and rushed to him.

"Benedict!"

"Penelope?" He turned to reveal his face, and Penelope felt her breath catch in her throat.

"Colin? Colin, you're here!"

Colin's heart leaped in his chest, and he stopped breathing at the sight of her. "Penelope, you look...beautiful."

"Thank you, Colin." She blushed. "But where have you been?! We searched everywhere for you! Everyone has been worried sick! I have been-!" She stopped herself before her panic got the better of her. "I missed you, Colin." Her eyes looked sad and defeated. Colin needed to hug her and make it all better, but he couldn't. He had to remind himself that the best thing he could give her was distance.

He straightened himself and avoided the piercing stare of her blue eyes. "I won't be long. I came to gather a few more of my things."

"Will you not stay for the wedding at least?"

"I can't." He hesitated.

"Why not, Colin?"

"I just can't, Penelope!" Colin softened his tone, "I'm sorry. I just can't."

"Why must you always run from the people who need you, Colin? I need you. As my friend, please stay. Stay for me." Much as it pained him, he could not say no to her. "Oh, thank you, Colin! Thank you!" She ran into his arms. They stayed there for a moment, staring at each other, both remembering the night they were in the very same position.

"Well..." He cleared his throat. "You best get back to Eloise before she sends a search party. I shall brace myself for the welcome of my family."

"Right." Penelope headed back through the gardens alone, her mind swirling once again. Waiting at the entrance of the home was Benedict. "Benedict! Oh, you are not supposed to see me yet. It is bad luck."

"I hardly think luck has to do with what I'm about to say."

"What can you mean?"

"Penelope, I know you do not wish to marry me."

"Benedict-" Tears of shock and relief formed in her eyes, and he massaged her hands reassuringly.

"It is alright."

"I am so sorry, Benedict. I truly love you, and anyone would be lucky to have you as a husband. I do not know what is wrong with me."

"You still have feelings for him."

"For whom?"

"For Colin, of course. I saw you earlier in the gardens."

"Colin?"

"It is alright, Pen. Secretly, I have awaited the day you realized it. I knew your heart belonged to him, but I pursued you anyway. Penelope, these last few months have been the happiest of my life. I would not trade them for a second. But you are meant for Colin. We both know that. And if I cannot have you as my wife, I will settle for being your brother."

"Oh, Benedict. You mean so much to me. I can never thank you enough for staying by my side and always protecting me. You are perhaps my closest friend. Don't tell Eloise I said that." They shared a light laugh. "I know you'll find someone who makes you as happy as you have me in these months. I would not trade it for anything, either. I love you, Benedict."

"I love you too, Pen." The two embraced as if they were saying goodbye forever, and he whispered to her, "Colin is in the study."

"Benedict, I-"

"Go to him...sister." He gave her a warm smile and watched as she walked away. "About time." He thought to himself out loud.