Unsatisfied

Penelope and Eloise were most unsatisfied by the ordeal with her brothers, so they sought answers elsewhere; Madame Delacroix.

"We can pay you." Penelope offered.

"But I beg of you, please leave out any experiences you may have with my brother, Benedict. I do not wish to have that image on my mind."

As Penelope and Eloise handed over their pin money, Genevieve began the sordid details of society's best-kept secret. Eloise's eyes widened, and Penelope's mouth hung open, soaking up the information like sponges.

Genevieve may have told them more than they bargained for, but both were glad and agreed it was well worth the money. Genevieve assumed neither girl was presently involved with another member of the ton, so she offered some insight into how to 'self-relieve' what they must be feeling at their age. Both looked at one another in curiosity and awe. How empowering it must be to take charge of one's body and its pleasures. To not rely on a man in such a way or owe something in return. That was what Penelope's Mama had taught her anyway; lay still and remain unsatisfied if that is his will. What a poet her mother was.

When it was over, all either could say through the carriage ride home was, "Oh." The young girls were eager as ever to put their newfound knowledge to practice. As Eloise studied her best friend's face, realization struck her. Benedict mentioned that he would 'demonstrate' for Penelope. Why would he say something so forward unless...?

After the carriage dropped Penelope off at her door, Eloise stormed back into the drawing room where her eldest brothers and Mama were still sitting. "Benedict, why didn't you tell me you wish to court Pen?"

"What?!" Benedict and Colin cried in unison. "Who told you that?" Benedict asked, choking on his biscuit.

"You said you would 'demonstrate' to her. Twice."

Now it was Colin's turn to laugh. "How do you even know what that means?"

"Never mind how Pen and I know."

"Penelope knows?!" Colin's eyes practically bulged out of his head at that. Eloise was a terrible influence on his sweet, innocent Pen. No doubt this little scavenger hunt was all her idea.

"Yes, now answer me, Benedict." Eloise stood her ground, ignoring Colin entirely.

"I only said that to get a rise out of Colin." Yes, part of it was to take a jab at his brother. A more wicked part of him wanted Penelope for himself. Since he and Genevieve stopped seeing one another, he had taken more notice of the other women of the Ton. Specifically, Miss Penelope Featherington, who was blossoming quite well since the incident with his buffoon of a brother last season. The man was blind not to see how insatiable the woman was. "Now look at him." Colin was biting his lip, furiously avoiding eye contact with anyone.

"So it is Colin who wishes to court her?" Eloise couldn't believe that. Just last year, he proclaimed precisely the opposite to half the Ton. That alone nearly broke Penelope, and he left soon after for Eloise to pick up the pieces.

"Isn't it obvious?" Violet stated while Benedict rolled his eyes, and Anthony shot her an agreeing look.

Benedict contemplated more and more whether he should take his chance at Penelope since Colin would not any time soon. She was a kind, respectable, and quite pretty girl. She had been a friend of the family for years. Why couldn't he?

Eloise felt as if they had tilted her world on its axis. Penelope and Colin, her best friend with her brother. Nothing made sense anymore, and still, she was left unsatisfied.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, Colin wished he could hide from the well-intended torment of his loved ones. What business was it of theirs how he felt about Penelope? Colin knew how he felt, and that's what mattered. Didn't he?