Part 27: The Secret

"...you sure you don't want to try the slot—"

  "Yes, I'm sure. I'll stick to my racing, thank you." You told Tenko, who sat at a slots machine as you steered that car game at the casino.

"...okay." Tenko nodded in response, inserting a few tokens for the slot machine. You, in the meantime, were having fun with a game that didn't risk your tokens. Not to mention that it didn't include gambling in the slightest. You liked that.

...

"Oh, you think we should get that?" Tenko asked, pointing out a familiar item in the casino reward shop.

"What? The key of whatever?" You looked around for a second. Your eyes briefly landed on the Key of Love before your eyes dulled, and you grabbed a drink of tea instead.

  "No." You answered, looking at other items you could grab.

"What? Why not?" Tenko questioned, looking at the key with curiosity.

"The pink bear told me about that before she croaked. That lets you... something about dreams, but it involves you acting out someone's deepest desire." You explained, a small sneer growing already.

"Oh... that's right..." Tenko repeated slowly, almost concerned.

"Yeah. In other words, you'd probably be having sex after using that thing." You huffed, fixing your hoodie.

"Yeah... I forgot about that..." Tenko sighed, crossing her arms.

"Well, I suppose it's a good thing I got lucky when I used that." She remarked, grabbing a few snacks instead of the key.

"Oh yeah. You got me, right?" You asked, curious.

"Yeah. How'd you figure that out?" Tenko inquired, watching you check out with your casino tokens.

"..." You felt a light blush cross your face as you coughed into a closed wrist. A handkerchief flew into your hand after a second, wiping at your eye to stop some bleeding.

"Just... ah... a feeling... after that trial with me... you know." You stammered, grabbing a bag with your items.

"Oh, right. I guess I forgot." Tenko shrugged, approaching the checkout with her own stuff.

"You know. I promised myself I would throw any degenerate male I got across the room. Cause, you know, they're..." She paused, getting her point across well enough.

"Yeah, I got you. But then you got me, and something changed, and you decided not to throw me across a room... I think." You added.

"Yeah, I did decide that. I dunno why I didn't, though. I guess it's because I knew you were a bit better then the other degenerates at the time... did you tell me about your vow of abstinence at the time?" Tenko asked.

"I think so."

"Then yeah, I think that was why. I knew if you were legitimate, then your deepest desire wouldn't be something filthy. And would you look at that, you just wanted someone to love you." Tenko almost smirked at the remark. You grit your teeth at the phrasing, shifting uncomfortably as Tenko grabbed her bag.

  "When you put it like that... well..." Your silenced prompted a laugh from Tenko, who lightly punched your arm as you both exited the casino, walking through the campus towards the dormitory.

  "I'm joking. I am here for you, you know?" She told you. You nodded, your mind involuntarily traveling back to other people who could've been there for you. A few tears welled up again at the thoughts of their faces.