Part 33: The Epilogue

"Hey, Y/n, you okay?"

  "Y-Yeah... thanks for that."

  "Hey, I still owed you."

  "Y/n! Tenko!"

  Over a field of destroyed rubble and piles of boulders, you brushed dust off of your hoodie, watching Shuichi wave out towards the two of you.

  It might have been intentional, but after you turned the mastermind of the killing game into a pincushion, Tenko had yanked you out of the way of a falling boulder, covering you as debris fell over the two of you.

  Despite the near instant darkness and almost full-body contact between you and Tenko, you were alive when the final blast went off, marking the end of Keebo's punishment, with you still alive.

  It was shortly after you and Tenko managed to dig yourselves out that Shuichi had called for you, to discover that you had also survived.

  "We made it..." Maki remarked, staring out into the distance. For the first time in so long, you felt warmth from the sunlight as it graced your skin.

  "But how? Weren't we supposed to die?" Tenko asked.

  "Yeah. Why are we still alive?" Shuichi asked. You simply shrugged, your entire body twitching from the adrenaline rush.

  It was officially over. Killing games, class trials, they were gone, done. No more fictional world, but...

  Where did you emerge to?

  "That's... a pretty sight." You admitted, leaning into the pillar of support beside you. Above you, the blue skies cracked, almost as if opening a portal to the skies beyond, where the sun shined into the grounds, making an almost dreamlike scene.

   "It really is... I'm glad I'm here to see it with you..." Tenko told you. With a sniffle, one last tear of triumph fell from her dirtied face.

  The last five were silent for a while, staring into the other side of the end wall. That hole, that gateway... the one that led to the place that hoped, and tortured, and held 53 killing games.

  The outside world...

  53 times that groups suffered, 52 times Hope prevailed.

  The world beyond fiction. The Real World.

  "..." You let a few tears slip, resting your head on Tenko as she wrapped an arm around you.

  "So, what do we do now?" Himiko asked.

  "We didn't think of a plan for what to do after. I thought that was the end of us back there." Maki told her.

  "But we survived... and that's the truth." Shuichi pointed out.

  "Well, we can't really stay here, can we?" Tenko asked, looking at the others.

  "We don't really have a choice." Shuichi looked around at the ruined grounds. A miserable, yet pleasant sight at the same time.

  "But... I don't get it. Seriously, how are we still alive?" Maki asked.

  "I should be asking that question..." You muttered.

  "Six games... all rigged so I could survive and make more money for Team Danganronpa..." You sighed.

  "Six personalities, and none of them were the same me as when I was born..."

  "Hey, don't worry." Tenko told you.

  "You only need one personality, and that's the one I fell in love with, okay?" She told you. You nodded, slowly pushing off of Tenko to stand on your own.