38 | Devotion

Acts 12:21-23
So on an appointed day, dressed in royal robes and seated on the throne, Herod delivered a public address to them. The assembled people began to shout, "It's the voice of a god and not of a man!" At once an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give the glory to God, and he became infected with worms and died.

Herod in his royalty delivered a speech.

People were amazed and thought he was a god.

He permitted himself to be worshiped.

The Lord's angel struck him down and he died (5 days later).

Presenting yourself well in the eyes of the people is different in presenting yourself pleasing to God.

a. People might be misled by your actions (kahit godly pa 'yan) and may start to praise you rather than God.

b. When you start to glorify anyone/anything, you make them your god.

Don't think you are the one to be worshiped.
God can't stand self-glorifying people.
Do not take the glory that must be for God.
Do not give glory to people, it must be God's.

Be humble as you excel.

These verses show how wrong reception of praise could lead to spiritual danger. Two chapters after this (chap.14), we will see how Barnabas and Paul responded when they were being praised by the people rather than God. They tore their clothes and pointed all the glory to God. Herod kept his royalty but the two kept God's glory.

Always check the condition of your heart.

Proverbs 4:23 "Guard your heart above all else, because it is the source of life." 'Di 'yung kalinisang-pisikal ang tinitignan ni Lord, kung hindi 'yang kalinisan ng motibo at puso mo. Be careful that you might lead other people to glorify the wrong one.

"Take credit for the work of God or rip our clothes and shout in protest until people understand that anything good we have or do is from God." Let's choose the latter.