016

| # BUZZFEED UNSOLVED

( 📼 ) ━━━━ ❪ chapter 16 ! ❫ 

JAMIE PRESSED a flashlight into their chin, making their skin illuminate a deep red. They beamed at Ranboo's camera, squished against his side. Wildflowers crawled over their sneakers and looming trees framed Spookyduo as they sat together in their folding chairs. It was dark, and they fleetingly wondered how Ranboo could see through his glasses.

"This week on JamieUnsolved, we drove into the Stanmer Great Wood to investigate the ongoing question"—they waved their fingers, adding effect—"'are ghosts real?'

"I'm your host, Jamie, and this is my partner, Ranboo. Now, we're not quite sure if these woods are haunted, but, my dear Boo, have you brought a few items to help us out?"

Ranboo pulled up his mask, pointing a finger at them. "Indeed I have. Courtesy of Amazon Prime, I was able to get the absolutely necessary items for our investigation." He reached into the backpack laying against his knee, pulling out an item. "First off, spirit box. Obviously." He held up what looked like a walkie-talkie, the equipment incredibly small in his hand.

"A spirit box," Jamie jumped in, "is essentially a radio that shifts through stations so fast that it allows spirits to harness the frequency and talk to us through it. You'd ideally want to hold a conversation with it. Ask it to say your name or how they died, things that wouldn't be part of songs feeding through. It's so fucking loud though."

He passed it off to them, pulling out the next item. "Headlamps! So I don't loose Jamie." He strapped it onto their head, pulling up their hair and pinching their scalp. "Perfect!" They could see the corner of his eyes crinkle in a smile.

Jamie was quick to swat him away, peeling it off and smoothing down their hair. "Hey! Ow, the fuck?"

"Now," Ranboo said, ignoring them. "it is very dark. It's like nighttime. And since this is Jamie's channel, I'll be their camera man tonight so that I can take off the glasses and see. Which is kinda important, y'know? But I'll still be here."

"We have plenty of water and snacks just in case," Jamie assured the camera, shaking from excitement. Tonight was going to be perfect; just them, Ranboo, and potential ghosts.

He seemed to take notice to their quivering, sliding his hand into theirs automatically. "So, Jamie. Where do we start first?"

...

Jamie plopped into the dirt, criss-crossing their legs. Ranboo sat in front of them, camera in hand, his glasses on his head and mask down his chin. It was still a little jarring after months together of associating his disguise as his face, but they were slowly getting used to it.

All of this was a nice distraction as well. Ranboo and Tubbo didn't let them succumb to their depression for too long after the last letter, but rather kept them busy with planning for this video, which Jamie appreciated more then anything.

They leaned towards him, holding out their hand. "I wanna try out the spirit box, Boo. See if we hear anything ghostly."

Ranboo placed the camera on a tree stump behind him and scooted forward, adjusting his false appearance. He pushed dirt onto their leg before standing, expanding like one of those blowup guys at car dealerships.. They short circuited, pausing. "What was the actual reason?"

"You're a Shaniac," he said simply. "And as a Boogara myself, I think I should use the spirit box." He pulled it out of his pocket and probably had a fucking smirk under his mask.

Jamie was quick to stand, charging at him as he pulled his arm upwards. He put his hand flat against their forehead, pushing them back harder then he probably meant. "Nope."

They stumbled and their heel caught on a tree root, sending them blindly flailing back to keep their footing. Something unanticipated wrapped around their torso, jerking them up and into Ranboo's arms, the rubber toes of their Converse scraping the dirt.

Jamie completely froze, their hand squeezing his shoulder, the other clutching onto his neck. His mask had slid down, bunched under his nose. His let go of them with one arm, pushing his glasses up his head, trapping his curly hair under them.

"Jam, Jamie, are you okay?" His eyes searched their expression. For what? He'd caught them before they could fall, only fading adrenaline and a few loose strands of hair any sign of their trip.

They were lowered to the ground, their hands moving down his arms until they were enveloped by his own. He squeezed. A frown etched onto his face, pulling his features down.

Jamie cleared their throat, tucking their hair back behind their ear before answering. "Yeah, I'm—"

"Jamie."

The voice was hushed, desperate, brushing past their ear, Their immediate explanation was wind, but...there's a couple of hard syllables in their name that make it hard to pronounce.

They pulled away, whipping around to face the tree line that bordered their clearing. "Did you hear that?"

He quickly readjusted his mask and glasses, facing the camera. "No? Did you actually hear something?"

Jamie turned towards him, staring at him with their mouth hanging slightly open. How could he have not heard it? He was barely three inches away from them.

They shook their head, grinning. "Got you. Alright, fine, you can use the spirit box."

He bent down, scooping it up from where he'd dropped it to grab Jamie. He slowly turned the knob, and Jamie flinched back from the noise before straightening and straining their ears to catch any words. That voice still really bothered them but they tried to shake it off for the sake of the video.

"My name is Jamie Roberts, and I'm here with Ranboo. Do you think you could say our names or yours?"

Their heart started to pound, and they wrapped their arms around themself, leaning closer to his hand. Silence followed them, even after they repeated their prompt, and every moment that they heard little more than white noise their heart started to sink.

Jamie was about to tell Ranboo to shut it off when a clear, loud voice rang out, the breeze picking up and carrying it. The sound circled them. The leaves scraped desperately against their branches and the sky.

"Jamie Roberts. Die."