Ch 2: Pt I - Red Wine & Kill Shots

After lunch, I went home instead of back to the office. Tony wanted me to take a 'paid vacation' and start with his cousin when he got back from his vacation in six months. This way, I didn't have to deal with Derek or Molly. I'd go tomorrow and get my office cleaned out. I didn't feel up to it tonight because it was the first Tuesday of the month, so that meant late meetings up until at least ten for upper management – myself and Derek included. Now I understood why Molly had stayed sometimes despite Tony telling her she was free to go home. Funny how so much made sense now that I knew the truth.

Armed with some fresh bottles of wine and takeout menus, I let myself into my condo with the hopes of a long soak in the tub and then a movie and popcorn.

In my room, I began the bath and connected my phone to the Bluetooth speaker I'd had set up in the bathroom. Then I lit the candles on the counter and made sure I had my robe nearby so I wouldn't have to walk far after my bath.

UB40's Red Red Wine began playing through the speakers, the opening cords causing my body to relax as I undressed and slipped into the tub.

"...red, red wine goes to my head.. makes me forget that I still need her so..." I hummed the song, not tipsy enough to sing along just yet. "Red, red wine, it's up to you... All I can do I've done.. memories won't go..." I let the song sink into my mind as I sipped on the first bottle of wine. I'd forgotten to grab a glass, but since I lived alone and always had, I had no qualms drinking straight from the bottle.

Two hours later, once I was wrinkly and drunk, I stumbled out of the tub with a watery laugh when Jelly Roll's Save Me came over the speakers and tugged on my robe. Drunk me was so much more entertaining. I began swaying while I listened to the song, plucking at wayward eyebrow hairs I'd noticed.

"...somebody save me, me from myself... I've spent so long living in hell..." I stopped plucking, pulled away and wiped at the tears the song brought on. "...all of this drinking and smoking is hopeless but feel like it's all that I need... something inside of me's broken.. I hold onto anything that sets me free..."

Drunk me was also an angry person, expressing all the anger and emotions that proper Sierra would never, could never. Drunk me took up for herself, whereas sober me let everyone use her as a doormat. I spent fifteen minutes destroying anything in sight that wasn't nailed down before walking over the broken things with the wine bottle hanging from my hand. It had been a long time coming.

I stumbled down the hallway, my left foot in pain. By the time I made it to the kitchen, I was limping. I frowned at the cupcakes on the counter, the pain in my foot forgotten. I didn't eat most store-bought sweets because they were too sickly sweet for my taste. I preferred moderated homemade sweets, so I could control the amount of sugar. In my wine-addled brain, I couldn't remember if I had picked them up as I reached for a glass. Had I? I'd indulged on rare occasions, like this one, when I knew I'd be drinking and would crave something drunk me couldn't make.

The sound of the TV sent me whirling towards the doorway. I know I hadn't left that on – I hadn't even turned it on when I came home. Abandoning the wine on the counter, I stumbled down the hallway, leaving a trail of blood and water behind me.

When I paused in the doorway, I frowned at the sight of Uncle Markos' two middle sons, Sal and Hector, sitting on my couch watching TV. Or, they were pretending to. Hector glanced at me and cleared his throat, causing Sal to glance at him and follow his gaze to where I stood in the doorway.

"Bout damn time." Sal announced. "Took you long enough. Why is there blood on the floor?" He jumped up and stalked over to me, bending to examine my foot.

"Tornado in the bathroom." I mumbled with a hiccup.

"You're drunk." Sal accused, standing to his full height so he could glare down at me. I rolled my eyes and tightened my robe, crossing my arms over my chest.