Ch 4 - One Hell of an Entrance

Saturday morning we ended up sleeping the alcohol off and checking out late before driving across town for brunch. Afterwards, we stopped to gas up for the six-and-a-half-hour drive into Louisiana.

We stopped in Minden, the last stop we had before heading down to Delacroix tomorrow. Because this was a new target, Diego hadn't had enough time to get intel or eyes in place. Emeril and I spent the afternoon and most of the night staking out the house until we saw the visiting cars leave and the lights turn off inside around two.

It was quick work, twenty minutes tops, mainly because there was only one target here. In and out, he didn't even wake up when I entered his room. We did scare a cat as we ransacked the place looking for documents or anything that offered who his associates were, though. I let it outside on our way outside, hoping it had enough sense to find another home.

We stayed at a rest stop and took a few hours to nap, dozing in shifts like we had during the stakeout. At five thirty, we got a call from Diego. A surprise target in Alexandria that we could hit on the way to Delacroix.

Around seven forty-five Sunday morning we were pulling into Alexandria when Grandpa Sal called me. I frowned at Emeril, letting him go into the house to finish the last target so I could answer the phone.

"Sierra." He greeted calmly. "How are you this morning, darling?"

"I'm-" The sound of gunshots erupted, and I glanced up to find Emeril trading bullets with three guys who were coming out of the house, having seen him creep up most likely. They hadn't noticed the SUV tucked away amongst the trees yet. "Fuck! Call you later Grandpa Sal." I announced, not even bothering to hang up the phone as I grabbed my extra clips and got out of the SUV to surprise them. Before I'd even cleared the woods, I had two down, and Emeril was fist-fighting with the last one as I ran up to the door and headed inside. Guy coming out of the kitchen, bowl in hand got a bullet to the throat, causing cereal and blood to spray from his mouth as he flew backwards, no longer choking when he hit the ground. Upstairs, I could hear voices and shouts. I turned at the sound of the front door opening, gun raised.

"Got an extra clip?" Emeril demanded. I pulled out two and handed them to him, noticing the developing bruise on his jaw.

Shot two guys coming down the stairs before we hit the landing. I barely managed to dodge the first bullet sent my way, and I damn sure didn't dodge the second. It whizzed past my arm, and only because Emeril pulled me into the first open doorway.

Ten minutes later, because I'd shot through the wall into the room next to us to kill the guys hiding there, we were ransacking the office when Emeril paused to glance at me.

"What did Salvatore say?" I opened my mouth to respond, but the sound of a door creaking open pulled my attention away from Emeril. I turned at the same time Emeril shoved me to the ground, a gunshot echoing a split second later. She was dead before I even hit the ground. The small closet she'd been hiding in hadn't even seemed like necessity to check before we'd began looking for anything important.

"She fucking shot me." I snarled, the pain in my thigh unlike any other I'd ever felt. I allowed Emeril to pick me up into his arms, thankful that he carried me out to the SUV. That walk would have taken ages. "How was she hiding in that fucking small ass space?" I demanded as Emeril set me in the front passenger seat.

"The human body can do shit like that when you're scared for your life." He grabbed me the first aid kit while he ran back inside to ransack the place for information.

When he came back out twenty minutes later, he had a couple bottles of whiskey wrapped in some sheets, and a whole backpack full of shit. He tucked it all into the trailer before grabbing me a jar of moonshine and joining me in the SUV.