Ch 3: Pt 2 - Road Trip from Hell

We didn't stop until we were about three hours away from the condo, in Nashville. Hector's puppy and I needed to use the bathroom.

"Might as well stop here and shop." Sal added as we all exited the car at the rest stop. "Sierra needs clothes for this trip, apparently."

"I would've been fine in business casual." I offered, offended. "It's not like this family reunion is going to be anything but business and we all know it." We paused in front of the bathrooms.

"Speaking of business, how you gonna break it to Grandpa Sal that you've been playing for the Campoz team for five years?" Sal pressed.

"Might just show him the video." I joked. Sal nodded. "I was joking!"

"I'm not." I rolled my eyes before heading inside the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later, we dropped Hector off at a vet in town that accepted walk ins to get his puppy straight while we went shopping. When we pulled into the Opry Mill Mall parking lot, I pulled out the mini Alice In Wonderland Loungefly bag I'd brought and stuffed it full with cash from one of the duffels I'd brought. I'd left the other at the condo, figuring I wouldn't need it.

"I think I forgot to shove that other duffel under my bed." I announced as Emeril, Sal and I walked to the mall entrance.

"If he finds it, what's he going to do, tell the police?" I nodded at Sal's words. He was right after all. I just didn't like my cousins knowing about my life. They liked to meddle in things that didn't concern them. Only this time, Sal and Hector had saved me from a very ugly surprise.

"Thanks." I started once Emeril left us to go to Boot Barn.

"For what?"

"Saving me from Marco." He shrugged and pulled me into his side.

"Something's wrong, Sierra – something much worse than Grandpa Sal's cancer. And until Hector and I figure it out, we're going to be stuck to you like glue. The fact that Marco isn't here with us should be the real clue that something is wrong." He was right.

I hit Spencer's and Hot Topic for sure, smirking at the vulgar tee's Sal was picking up in my size as I went through the pants, shorts, overalls, and dresses. We got a few drinking games, because, hello, family reunion.

After those two stores, we met up with Emeril and Hector, who'd tucked his puppy into a backpack he was wearing on his chest instead of his back, feeding it fries from the food court.

"No one stopped you?" I asked with a laugh as they joined Sal and I in front of the Smith Creek Distillery and I saw him stick a couple fries into the open hole of the backpack and the puppy's snout reach for them.

"I know how to be discreet." I rolled my eyes and he laughed. "You getting moonshine?" He asked, glancing up towards the sign of the store.

"She damn sure is. Wine will not help her survive whatever the fuck it is we're about to walk into." I rolled my eyes at Sal's words. "Thousand dollars says you'll like at least three flavors."

"You're on."

Fifteen minutes later, I slapped the money into Sal's hand, ignoring his smirk as I watched the cashier ring up my order. Out of the thirteen flavors, I'd only disliked three.

"That should be plenty." I announced with a wide smile. I'd only gotten one of each flavor, proud of myself for only buying one when I'd really wanted seven of each so I'd have some to spare when I got back.

"I think you didn't buy nearly enough." I glanced oddly at Hector as the cashier finished ringing up my moonshine. "We didn't tell you how long this reunion was supposed to last, did we?"

"What?"

"Grandpa Sal told us to clear our schedules for three months, kid." Sal announced cheerfully. "You'll go through these jars in the first two weeks." I sighed deeply, rubbing my forehead at the sudden headache coming on. I was supposed to survive for three months?

"I'll make sure you have enough. Go finish shopping." Emeril ordered, waving the cash away that I tried to offer him.

"Thanks, Em." He nodded, crossing his arms over his chest as he discussed bulk orders with the cashier.

When we stepped out of the store and back into the flow of foot traffic, I glanced down at the couple of bags Sal and I had.

"This isn't nearly enough clothes for three months." I observed. "You watched me pick out two pairs of jeans, three shorts, and a summer dress and you didn't say anything." I accused, glaring up at Sal.

"You were having a good time. I didn't want to ruin it just yet."