Ch 3: Pt 4 - Road Trip from Hell

When we woke up the next day, we checked out of the hotel and picked up breakfast before hitting the highway.

We stopped off in Memphis a few hours later to hit a target. A house just on the outskirts of town, far enough no one would hear anything. This time, I went in alone while Sal and Emeril waited in the car. It was a woman this time – a recruiter for the human trafficking victims. I wore a bodycam so Emeril and Sal could watch and help if I needed it.

"Hey, I'm supposed to meet Karla here to discuss a modeling contract?" I announced in an airhead tone when the woman answered the door. She was who I was looking for, after all.

"Come in, sweetheart." There were two men sitting on a couch in the living room, facing the TV with their backs to the door. I heard the locks slide home behind me and smirked. A minute later, I pulled the gun I'd strapped to my thigh under my dress and shot the two men in the head before turning to point my gun at the woman's head. "You bitch-"

"Can you bastards pick another insult already? Bitch and whore get old fast." I took my knife out of the holster, smiling when I remembered the look on Emeril's face when I'd insisted I needed it. Sound of movement behind me, I whirled and shot the man who'd come through the doorway. "Start walking, hag. I've got twenty minutes to spare, and I'm going to make them count."

When I walked out of there forty minutes later, I had blood everywhere. My dress, my legs, my sandals, my hair, the trash bag I carried of the stuff I'd looted. My gun was splattered, too, though I hadn't even used it on her. Emeril and Sal both had wide eyes as I walked to the car and slid into the backseat.

"Sorry about the blood." I started quietly, feeling something inside me break free. Or was it just me, the real me, that was finally breaking free? "I'm thirsty. Can we stop and get something?" I turned the bodycam off and pulled it out of my bra.

"Sure." Emeril agreed before they fell silent as we pulled out of the driveway and headed back to town.

"You guys are being weird." They both glanced at me, Emeril in the rearview and Sal over his shoulder.

"Sierra, you weren't watching yourself." Sal whispered, reaching back to take my hand. "You, my little cousin, are terrifying."

"It wasn't that bad." Sal lifted an eyebrow. "Was it?"

"She was begging for a bullet and you just kept slicing." Emeril agreed with a chuckle. "To have just started-" He cut off when Sal turned to look at him, realizing what he'd said.

"Ok, so we lied." I stated when Sal turned to look at me. "I'm going to tell Grandpa Sal I've been working with Uncle Gonzalo for five years."

"Works for me."

Our next hit was in Birmingham, Alabama. We made it there by nightfall with a pitstop for a real meal.

It only took me fifteen minutes to clean out the house and get back into the car. It was getting easier to disassociate. Knowing that I was saving people helped tremendously. We stopped off for the night about twenty minutes from Birmingham.

The next morning, Friday, we got up at five to drive about two hours over to Montgomery. There, Sal, Emeril and I met up with Diego and his crew. It took us an hour to clean house and loot the place.

We'd just gotten back onto the highway after stopping for breakfast when I turned my phone back on. I'd had it off this entire time, not wanting to give my location away to anyone who may be tracking me, like Marco. Speaking of, as soon as I turned it on, I got a shitload of texts and voicemails from Tony, Marco, and Derek.

As I clicked on the text thread from Tony, Marco's call came in and I accidentally answered it.

"Where are you?" He demanded, bypassing any greeting he usually gave me. "You aren't at work – you're on vacation, apparently – and you aren't at home. So where are you?"