Chapter 15: Opportunity

Beta read by n1ch, Shigiya, Solitary heart and 8kagi

.

.

.

-
-Dungeon-

The situation kept getting increasingly familiar for the Counter Guardian.

A dark cell, his legs chained to the wall while he patiently sat there and waited for the final decision to be made. The gloomy atmosphere of the sewer-like smell, filled with the cries of other prisoners, did nothing to affect his mood.

Archer could leave at any moment he wanted. He could break these chains, go on a rampage across the seven kingdoms, and fire his most powerful sword at Ken to leave no witnesses behind. But he wouldn't. He didn't want to and was tired of the same old song and dance. And also, his main target wasn't here, so this would also be a wasteful in every sense of the word. If Vault got even an inkling that someone, who could fire explosive swords that could tear through armies like paper, was after his life, would go into hiding and make his job a thousand times more troublesome and time-consuming.

It was so easy to take a fast way out, just forget about everything of the past and become a killing machine with no emotions that he was already used to. But he wasn't a killing machine... not anymore.

He had many options available to him to complete his task. Harder and time-consuming, yes, but until he exhausted every single one of them, he would keep it as a last resort.

After making up his decision on his course of action, he lost himself in his thoughts.

He dreamed about fire once again.

The same memory of the past etched into his very existence burned his soul to insanity. The one thing that was different this time compared to all the others was that he definitely felt the presence of someone else. It felt more clearer this time around, as he could feel the gentle touch of a woman caressing her cheek. Who or what it was, he couldn't tell. It couldn't be a dream cycle, as people couldn't interfere with the other one's past, and he never once dreamed about someone else's life.

He just hoped that it wasn't HER again.

Aside from that little issue, Archer wondered how long he would have to wait here. He mentioned Maia's name just to get things moving faster around here. What was his plan? For now, getting out of here.

And hopefully, not burn the city to the ground by the end of the day.

"Hey there pal, what are you in for?" One of the prisoners adjacent to his cell questioned him. He couldn't see his face, but Archer could guess by the sound of his voice that it was an elderly man, his form hidden from the wall separating their cell.

"..."

"Ah, come on, don't be shy now son. This old man has been stuck here for months with no companions or friends to talk to, and you finally came along. So amuse me for a bit, and let's have a conversation."

"..."

"Just a buzz kill aren't ya? Then I guess you won't be bothered by me singing for a bit. It's the only way I kept myself sane throughout these years. Ooooooooh, praise the mighty su-"

"-What do you want, old man." Archer cut him off immediately. He didn't want to sit through whatever this man was about to sing and suffer from a headache soon after.

"Finally, at least you're not mute. Hehehehe, it would have been ironic if the first neighbor I got after months was a mute." He laughed creepily, annoying Archer more than his rambling, "You know my question, why are you locked up in the dungeons?"