Chapter 37: Another Farewell

Beta read by Shigiya, Fluffy Slayer and DOOMRAIDER.

.

.

.

--Feoh

Sitting comfortably within the confines of a guarded but luxurious 4-horse-drawn carriage were two of the most important figures in Feoh and Ur Alicia and Prim. They were heading back to Feoh after visiting the Mortadella brothers' estate a while ago.

Prim, for the most part, distracted herself by reading books or shifting through unfinished paperwork, while her cousin, Alicia, had been mulling over something. With the ongoing silence edging her on, Prim decided to break the ice.

"We will soon be arriving." She said, hoping to get Alicia’s attention. "I hope we're not too late, Maia must have already arrived by now."

Hearing that woman's name made Alicia frown, her nose huffing with distaste over hearing that woman’s name. Even with everything Prim said and how Celestine herself had acknowledged the redhead, Alicia still couldn't bring herself to accept the former mercenary. She was far too carefree with her responsibilities. The last time Alicia visited her kingdom, Maia had put off her duties, and has yet to establish a council to help in her duties, preferring to drink merrily with the grunts than govern her territory while her kingdom was in shambles.

"Onee-sama, you're making that face again… you can't keep ignoring Maia's existence as a Shield forever. Her methods may be a bit unorthodox but she is a wonderful and loyal person. Just give her a chance to prove herself…" 

The Princess Knights were supposed to be united, holding no resentment or bias between each other. Despite their worship and loyalty to Celestine, the Goddess always made sure that the others have an equal say in all matters, believing that it’s better to be united.

Her cousin sighed.

"This cannot be brushed aside, Prim. I believe that Lady Celestine is obviously unaware of the consequences this would have on us in the future. I respect Celestine-sama, but there is a reason why peasants don't rule territories. They are incapable, ignorant of the finer details required in these matters and their managerial efficiency would leave the people in dire straits in the future. Maia would have been more suited to the role of a Princess Knight, with Ken governed by Beardsley in her stead. He is far more competent and capable than that woman."

Beardsley was an advisor to the Arcturus family for as long as she could remember. He used to be an apprentice under her father's tutelage before ascending the role of helping her manage Feoh as its prime minister. Despite his weird and sometimes creepy attitude, he got the job done in record time. 

Prim frowned at her cousin's words. 

'I hope they can get along soon, Maia is a good person,' 

She first met the newest Shield during her blessing ritual, she was honestly quite fun and amazing to talk with as she regaled her many of her adventures as a mercenary — becoming one of her few real friends that treated her as just Prim. She couldn't help but giggle about that time when Maia, in one of her many attempts at flirting with Vault, tried to borrow her dress to show off to him. While their height differed greatly, the dress still held onto her body quite nicely… though the chest area was a bit loose, much to Maia's disbelief. Still, it took less than 5 minutes for her to trip and fall into a muddy puddle. 

Thankfully Vault wasn't there to see it and Prim was kind enough to never speak a word of it.

Returning to her senses, she gazed  at the beautiful scenery of the green woodlands through the carriage window. "Hm, this place… Do you remember the last time we were here?"