chapter 2 - deeper findings

TW: mentions of 🩸

[.....i love you Nance.....]

"you have to reference the book at the end though" nancy was explaining to robin about their assignment. robin was still not understanding. as usual.
"but i've already quoted it the entire essay? oh god history is so dumb" nancy smiled at the girl's statement.
"okay done" robin said chucking her assignment and book to the end of nancy's bed.
the two were leaned up against nancy's bed frame with a collection of books and paper spread out in front of them.
"thanks for helping me" robin rest her head up against the frame and turned to look at nancy.
"you're welcome" nancy smiled and looked down at her thumb, the skin parted in the middle of it.
"oh my thumb is bleeding a little " she spoke quietly
"let me see" nancy reached out her hand, the blonde taking it in with care to inspect her thumb. robin's hands were always warm which was nice for nancy because hers were always cold. nancy relished in the warmth and the touch from her best friend. an uncontrollable smile grew on her face as robin leaned in to look closer at her hand. nancy slapped her other hand over her mouth, causing robin's head to snap up at the sudden noise.
"what's wrong?" robin asked worriedly.
"n-nothing. i'm fine" nancy said trying to cover her smile.
"why are you smiling?" the question caused nancy to giggle. robin rolled her eyes. "what now wheeler?" she questioned her best friend again.
"seriously nothing!" the girls were still in contact via their hands.
"then why are you giggling idiot?" robin smiled sweetly at nancy wanting an answer from her.
"it's cute" nancy said under her breath.
"what's cute?" robin raised her eyebrows, still questioning the girl on her sudden burst of happiness.
"you. you're taking this so seriously. it's just a small paper cut" nancy was still smiling.
"yeah cause you're hurt. i want to make sure you're okay" the brunette blushed. it was silent for a couple seconds as nancy composed herself from that moment.
"thanks" nancy whispered.
"no problem" robin whispered back. the two heard thumps of footsteps up the stairs and a polite knock on the door.
"come in!" nancy yelled out. the door knob turned and standing in the doorway was max and el.
"hi" el and max said at the same time. robin and nancy shared a confused look.
"hey guys. what's going on?" robin said patting the bed in front of them. nancy moved the papers and books and the two younger girls sat down in front of the two older girls.
"can we talk?" el asked sheepishly looking at the red head sitting next to her.
nancy and robin both nodded with enthusiasm. this is the first time either of the girls have wanted to seriously talk to them about something, together.
"do you remember when you made that joke about el being my girlfriend earlier?" max focused on robin. robin nodded slowly wondering where what in the world mayfield would say next.
"well" max looked down at her chewed fingernails "the reason why we freaked out is because you were right" max and el both glanced at their friends desperate for their approval. nancy and robin quickly peered at each other again before robin questioned the two girls further.
"right about what?"
"el being my girlfriend"
nancy smiled and she did a little sitting-down jump.
"nance? are you okay?" el said to her older sister figure.
"yes! are you kidding me? you guys are dating that's awesome! i'm so proud of you both!"
"you have to tell us everything" robin continued the excited-ness. max and el smiled at each other and max reached for el's hand taking it gently in hers.
"well...."
max launched into a 10 minute long story about how the two started dating. el would chime in every now and again fixing up a detail in max's narrative. robin and nancy listened intently to the redhead's story and nancy felt a sense of longing in her heart. it almost felt like an ache inside her chest, like she needed something but couldn't ever retrieve it. she felt confused and lost for a second. all she could think about was jonathan and how the once loving memory of her boyfriend had grown to be nothing more then just a memory. she reassured herself that she loved her boyfriend and that it was just a doubting feeling.
"and after that, everything just kinda fell into place. like a puzzle"
"and max was the missing piece" el said shyly.
"nawwww that is so cute!" robin said beaming.
"thanks for telling us" nancy added
"thanks for being so chill about it" max spoke up again. nancy's eyebrows furrowed. she couldn't stop thinking about jonathan. she needed to talk to him but she had no idea why. she just had this emotional pull to him and it wasn't a positive one. she then felt a warm hand on her knee
"nance you okay?" robin asked looking into her eyes.
"yeah i'm just..thinking about something"
"uh okay" robin checked her watch "SHIT! nance i have to go it's almost curfew" nancy grabbed robin's wrist to look at the time
"oh my god okay max and el i'll be back soon we have to go" robin held out her hand and nancy took it. the two girls ran out of nance's room, down the stairs and into nancy's car as they started the short trip to robin's.
"phew" robin sighed of relief as they were on the road.
"sorry i guess i just lost track of time" nancy was still thinking about needing to talk to jonathan.
"it's okay. i should have been checking the time too" robin observed nancy's face and she could tell nancy was lost in her headspace "you okay nance? you're acting really weird"
nancy breathed out needing to tell her best friend what she was thinking about. robin could always tell
"i just need to talk to jonathan"
"about what?"
"that's the thing, i have no clue why i feel like i need to talk to him. i just need to and it's tearing me up inside"
robin felt bad for her best friend. she wanted to fix nancy's problems but she knew she had to give her space.
"i'm sorry nance" nancy nodded and gave robin a little smile "maybe just sit with yourself for a little bit and try to figure out what it is you need to talk to him about"
"yeah. i think i need to do that. thanks" the two went quiet for the rest of the car ride. nancy pulled up to robin's house and robin thanked nancy for the night she had had. nancy watched the blonde girl as she ran into her home smiling as she shut the door. then she felt it. the electricity.

nancy ran back up the stairs and into her room slamming the door behind her. she relaxed against the door.
"OH my god" she yelled as she realised el and max were still on her bed.
"you guys scared me" nance flopped onto her bed sighing.
"there was also another reason why we wanted to tell you about us" max smirked at her girlfriend then looked down into nancy's tired eyes.
"what is it max"
"we think you need help" she replied still smiling as if she knew something. nancy sat up with a confused look.
"max you're like 3 years younger then me. what could you possibly help me with?"
"you and jonathan" el added. nancy's stomach dropped. how did they know what she was feeling?
"w-what?" nancy stuttered rubbing her eyes with the heels of her palms to cover up the 'oh shit' look on her face.
"we know you don't love jonathan" nancy nodded trying to see their point as she grabbed her cup of water and took a sip

"we think you love robin"

nancy choked on her water covering her mouth with her hand to prevent water from spitting out everywhere. max and el sat looking proudly at nancy. nancy thought back about how she didn't want robin to leave and how she always felt so secure and safe around her. but robin was also a girl. she couldn't like a girl. that's not nancy.
"i don't like robin. you got it right about not loving jonathan but i don't like robin. i'm not into girls like that. it's okay to be into girls like that it's just not me. you guys are really so very wrong about that" max and el shared a look as nancy went on about not liking robin "i mean how did you even get that impression? was i staring at her? i don't think i was because i remember wanting to look at her eyes but not doing it because i didn't want..." max smiled as nancy trailed off into a realisation. nancy cleared her throat and continued "i didn't want anyone to find out"
"find out what nance?"
"that i like robin"
max crossed her arms smiling and looking at the two girls. nancy started to chew her nails, something she does when she anxious or confused.
"well then. guess my work here is done!" max said still a little smile spread across her face. she got up off the bed "nancy welcome to the club" max held her hand out to nancy as if she had just joined the fucking fbi.
"max you made me have the biggest realisation of probably my entire life and now you're just going to leave?" nancy's eyes started to fill up with tears. el scurried over to nancy's side wrapping her arms around her.
"no" max sat down on the other side of nancy. she put her head on nance's shoulder and took her hand to hold. "i'm sorry if i made it seem like this was a joke. it's not. it's serious" max whispered guiltily.
"i'm sorry too. i was just excited for us to have something in common" el spoke up. nancy didn't know what to feel. she was so confused but she felt a sense of relief too as all of the questions in her mind had dissipated. but she still had no clue what to do about jonathan or robin. but for now she let the girls console her. she did enjoy their presence especially because her brother was a dipshit and her sister was too young to understand the depth of these types of things. nancy's sniffles subsided and max lifted her head from the brunette's shoulders.
"you okay?" max asked still feeling sorry for nance.
"yeah i'm okay. promise" she looked at the girls and smiled. after another half an hour of talking el and max had to go home and nancy offered to drive them home. they piled into nancy's car and she drove them back to el's house.
"thanks for the ride nance. i'm here if you need help or advice" max said the last bit quietly.
"thanks max. really" nancy was more at peace with max there to help her "bye el!"
el waved back to nancy and the two girls disappeared into the cabin. as nancy drove off, she felt the need to talk to robin. she turned into her street and parked in the cul-de-sac. 'thank god robin's house was only one story' nancy thought as she walked up to robin's window and tapped on it. robin stood up and opened the window.
"nancy it's 11:30. what are you doing here?"
"i like girls. like like them" nancy stood waiting for validation from her friend.
"uhh cool! me too. is that why you're here?"
nancy felt an awkward bubble arise in her stomach. now wasn't the time to confess her feelings for her best friend. she needed more time to understand everything. she needed to break up with jonathan.
nancy eagerly nodded "yeah that's the only reason" she nervously laughed.
"nance"
"yeah?"
"spit it out."

a/n end of chapter 2!!!
this one was worseeee i'm sorry. there wasn't a whole lot of ronance in here but i promise the next couple chapters will be filled with them! i have a couple ideas of what i'm going to do. also i love elmax so much. lesbian max and bi el are my favourite headcanons.