chapter 6 - everyone follows

[.....of course..i love you.....]

"guys you have no idea what i just saw" michael wheeler burst through the front door of the byers' residence and was standing in front of his group of friends.
"what did you see michael?" max sighed. she was so clearly over his shenanigans.
"nancy and robin" max and el perked up and shared a 'oh fuck' look with each other "nancy was trying robin's rings on and robin's hand was on my sister's thigh. it was weird and gross" michael looked disgusted.
"what's weird and gross?" max crossed her arms trying to catch michael in his homophobic comment.
"that someone would touch my sister like that!" he protested. max and el relaxed a little bit at the fact that mike was not homophobic.
"so you wouldn't care if nancy dated someone like robin?" el asked slyly digging deeper into his ideologies.
"as in a girl? no i wouldn't care. i'm not nancy, she can live her own life" mike crossed his arms too.
"so then why are you making this such a big deal?" lucas added to the dramatic scene.
"because..because i don't know!" mike combed his hands through his hair and paced around the room stressed. he slumped down into a chair and was comforted by his best friends.
"nancy's my sister. i don't want to be pushed out and thrown away like she did to me when she was with steve. i guess it's weird. i don't know" michael sat his head in his hands. will stood up and walked to his side. he comforted mike by placing his hand on mike's shoulder. the touch from will immediately sent shivers down mike's spine.
"you okay?" will felt mike jolt from the shivers.
"yeah yeah i'm fine...just cold" he responded while still focused on will.
"mike you're wearing like 4 layers..." lucas pointed out.
"thanks for your input lucas!" mike said sarcastically as he stormed out of the house to sit on the porch. will went to follow him but max quickly stopped him and offered to go out instead.
"yeah...sure" will said hesitantly knowing that max and mike were basically enemies. max strolled outside and saw mike sitting on the porch dangling his feet over the edge.
"great. they sent you?" mike rolled his eyes.
"nope. i offered" max said back while walking to sit next to him.
"why? you hate me" he stated. that was indeed sort of true. they never saw eye to eye in anything.
"i don't hate you michael. i just never liked how you treated el. and i'm not liking how you're treating nancy right now too" she spoke. mike knew she was right. he was being selfish.
"i know. i know max i just don't know what to do from here on out" he played with a bit of wood with his shoe.
"talk to nancy. ask her to tell you about whatever's going on with her and robin. and tell her about what's going on with you and will" max tilted her head in pity but michael quickly sat up straight at the redhead's comment.
"what?! nothing is going on with me and will!" michael defended himself.
"okay sorry! jeez" max returned to her unapologetic self. "i was just trying to be nice" she said while standing up to walk back inside.
"wait max" she turned around and crossed her arms when mike called for her.
"i'm sorry. no, there isn't anything going on between will and me. i think" he lied "i just don't think i'm ready to tell nancy yet if there is something"
"then don't tell her michael. but let her tell you. if she wants to. have a sibling talk with her and then maybe you'll both feel closer to each other" michael nodded at the girl's statement. he knew she was right but he'll never admit that. not to her at least.
"thanks max" he gave her a small smile.
"no problem dumbass" she smiled back "cmon, these mosquitoes are annoying" she said slapping her leg. the two went back inside and greeted the rest with a smile on both of their faces.

nancy drove back home with a million thoughts in her head. was she dating robin now? did mike question what she told him? what if he told the rest of his friends? what the fuck was going on? she drove into her house's driveway but she didn't want to be there. she needed to talk to her brother. now.

a/n
okay AGAIN sorry for the short chapter, there will probably be chapters about this length from now on. idk we'll see 🥰
i'm sorry if yall hate them but i HAD to include max and mike bonding moment. they would be amazing bro's tbh. all platonic though :)
byebye now ❤️