Chapter 08: System gift

For the first time, I felt a little pain since I came into this world. However, it did not pain from my outer body but from within me. More specifically, from inside my "core of origin."

I assumed it was my soul receiving energy large enough for the current me, a sort of bottleneck-breaking process, as cultivators liked to call it.

With a breaking sound, a surge of energy relieving me from deep within my soul that was possibly inside the core spread through my gelatinous body at the same time as a familiar floating window appeared in front of me along with a monotone voice reading the wave.

[Initiating the process of <First Evolution>. Next, choose your humanoid body]

I could not think about the anterior notification for long as two small floating windows appeared in front of me, side by side.

[Previous life appearance]

[Custom appearance]

'...'

If I had a mouth right now, I would be grinning from ear to ear with excitement.

'Yes, baby, this is what I've been waiting for all this time!'

My pathetic, round shape restricted my movements too much; hell, I don't even have limbs!

'Please, please let my goose keep hanging down.'

I hesitated a bit, but in the end, I opted for the first option and prayed to myself like a mantra while a blue slime from a particular anime came to mind.

While I still had some hatred for my appearance from my past life, I was starting to like it, at least now. Anything was better than being a slime; I can only hope my sex organ holds up; while it's true I've never used it, I can't imagine a life without my life partner.

'Lord almighty, that's all I ask of you...'.

As I waited for the impossible to happen, my body began to emit a bright and powerful golden light. Before I closed my eyes so they wouldn't burn, I could catch that about twenty meters around me had been illuminated.

I felt my body trembling and expanding, and, at the same time, I had a strange sensation of abrupt growth in some parts of my body.

I assumed it was my limbs, which turned out to be correct, as I could soon feel my fists clenching and unclenching with a strange, unnatural sensation. It was different from the sense conveyed by my human body.

Several minutes later, I opened my eyes, and my vision was blocked by grasses and some other types of vegetables. I slowly put strength into my new arms that I still couldn't manage enough to get up.

I wobbled a couple of times but managed to stand up.

"... Golden," I mumbled loudly, my voice sounding a little hoarse.

"Aren't I supposed to have no vocal cords? Meh, who cares right now."

Two silky golden bangs caught my attention. They were fluffy and fell to the level of my chin. However, it was clear that I had chosen the look from my previous life, which meant my hair must be black.

"Damn it! It was noticeable enough before, and now I even possess golden hair that completely outshines the gold itself."

"Oh, right...". Remembering the most important thing, with a bit of fear, I lowered my face and couldn't help but clench my fists in joy.

"Hahaha! I knew my little brother wouldn't abandon me, leaving me as genderless slime." I laughed good-naturedly as I looked at what was dangling in my crotch.