Buddy

The next morning, after breakfast, Rapunzel and Varian met their parents in the King's study again. "So, just to be clear, we can cancel the arrangement at any time, right?" Rapunzel asked.

"Yes." King Frederic nodded.

"So...if I say 'yes', is it going to be big, public news?" She asked, feeling a bit anxious.

"We can keep it just on the record, if you would prefer." Queen Ariannan odded.

"Okay, good. Because I...I still like Eugene, so I...I mean, two suitors, that's a thing, right?" Rapunzel looked at Varian, who nodded. "Yeah. So, you know, if we went public then it would look bad if people knew I was already engaged but was still flirting with Eugene."

"Of course. This is just an arrangement to be set into motion when Varian is eighteen. Until then, it is simply permission for him to court you as asuitor." Queen Arianna assured her. "remember having two suitors..."

King Frederic cleared his throat. "Yes, well, you chose the better option."

"You had two suitors, too, mom?" Rapunzel asked.

"Oh, yes. I had Prince Trevor from Equis also vying for my hand in marriage, and rather publicly." Queen Arianna nodded. "Honestly, they both have their 'quirks', but I made my choice." She smiled at her husband fondly.

"So, from here on, it's up to you on who you choose." Quirin nodded.

"Well," Rapunzel smiled at Varian, "may the best suitor win, then, right?"

Varian smiled shyly and offered his hand, which she took, and then kissed her hand sweetly. "You are a prize worth fighting for, Sundrop."

"Quirin, where did he learn that?" Queen Arianna looked at the man, and he just shrugged in reply.

"Well, uhm, I should be going." Rapunzel slipped her hand away from Varian's. "Eugene and I made plans to help out the local orphanage today."

"And I have to get back and make goo bombs for the Royal Guard." Varian nodded, standing up as well. "That is, if dad's ready to go home?"

"Yes, I believe we've accomplished what we wanted here." Quirin stoodup. "Well then, Your Majesties, Princess, we will see you again soon."

"Very soon." Rapunzel assured Varian with a smile.

He nodded and then they all headed for the door, the King and Queen standing up as well. Adira stepped out of the way and opened the doors for them and then walked along with the group.

"Feel free to come by if you need any other advice, or if you just want to hang out." Varian said as he walked with Rapunzel.

She nodded, her hand slipping into his. "Good luck making all those goo bombs. I bet that'll be a lot of work."

"Not really, it's actually very simple." Varian said, then started to explain how the compound worked and how long it took to make it and how many bombs he could create with one batch. Rapunzel listened to him talk with a soft smile, her hand gently squeezing his gloved one.

Behind her, their parents exchanged pleased looks.

--

"What if you had a lab here?" Rapunzel asked as she saw them to the cart. "I bet we could set a room aside for it, and we'd be able to see each other more often!"

"That'd be great!" Varian grinned.

"Blondie!" Eugene walked over to them. "Oh, is Varian leaving?"

"Just for a bit. I have to go home and make goo bombs for the Royal Guard." Varian said cheerfully.