Prank

Eugene and Cassandra followed behind Rapunzel and Varian as they walked with King Frederic. "What did you want to show me, Your Majesty?" Varian asked eagerly.

"We're almost there, be a little more patient, Varian." The man chuckled. "It's been difficult keeping you distracted so I could get this done, but I think you're going to like it."

"He wouldn't even tell me what he's been doing the past week!" Rapunzel said excitedly.

"We've been having fun this week, though." Eugene chuckled, thinking of everything they'd been doing to distract the kid at the King's request, from horse rides to wrestling to throwing random contests to keep his attention. And now it was finally paying off!

"Here we are." King Frederic stopped at a door and smiled at Varian. "Go on, open it."

Varian stepped toward the door and gripped the handles before opening the doors, revealing a large room stocked full of lab tables, alchemy equipment, and boxes and boxes of materials. His eyes widened and then he let out a happy squeal before he hugged King Frederic. "This is awesome, thank you!" He grinned up at him.

"Go on and see what all we put in." King Frederic smiled. "Quirin and I both put this together for you, so you don't have to keep going back and forth to create your alchemy."

Varian beamed and went inside to start poking around, Ruddiger following him closely and looking just as interested.

"Thanks for doing this for him, dad." Rapunzel smiled at him.

"Well, after he came at night last week to deliver the 'goo bombs', I figured it would be easier if he just moved in. Especially since he's your suitor now, Rapunzel." King Frederic smiled at her.

"Mm, yeah." She smiled at Varian, who was lost in his own little world already, goggles over his eyes and burner turned on as he started working on his alchemy already. "Let's leave him to this." She suggested.

"Varian? You good?" Cassandra asked.

"Yeah, I'll catch up with you later. Thanks again!" Varian said, looking over his shoulder. "See you later, Sundrop."

She giggled. "I'll drop by later."

"Have fun, kid." Eugene said, wrapping an arm around Rapunzel's waist.

"You too." Varian said distractedly.

Rapunzel giggled and then they stepped back and closed the doors to give him privacy. "I think he likes it."

"Oh, you think?" Eugene chuckled, nudging her.

--

The next day, Varian and Eugene joined the Royal Family for breakfast, meeting up on the way out of their rooms. "You seem to be adjusting well." Eugene grinned. "New clothes?"

Varian looked at his new outfit, which was a turquoise vest with a white shirt and brown pants. He still wore his usual goggles, gloves and boots, of course. "Yeah, figured I may as well dress the part of a suitor."

"Looks good." Eugene complimented.

"Thanks, so is yours." Varian said, grinning.

"It's the first thing people see when they enter the castle, Dad." Rapunzel was saying as they approached the breakfast table under the gazebo. "I mean, maybe we could remodel it or something. You know, make it warm and welcoming."

"That archway is an important line of defense, Rapunzel." King Frederic said patiently. "It is imperative it convey strength and security."

"You want strength and security, here's whatyou do." Eugene said as he and Varian took their seats on either side of Rapunzel to start eating. King Frederic raised an eyebrow at him. "Lion statues!" Eugene went on. "Ohh, ohh, better yet...turn the archway into a giant lion's mouth!"