Pascal's Story

"So, how did you meet Pascal, Rapunzel?" Andrew asked.

Rapunzel was currently sitting with her social circle for an art session, and Pascal, Ruddiger and Eugene had volunteered to be models.

Rapunzel hummed thoughtfully. "Oh, it was when I was eight years old. There was a horrible storm, I couldn't sleep with the flashing lightning and horrible, loud thunder. So, I had gone downstairs to see if mother was back, but she wasn't yet, and so I decided to stay downstairs. Well, I heard something coming in the window, grabbed a frying pan and crept over to see a snake coming in. I was scared, but I swung my frying pan and whacked him! Then I realized there was a little chameleon lying hurt and dying, so I picked him up and wrapped him in my hair and healed him with my powers." She giggled. "I thought he was a frog, until he changed color."

"Powers?" Andrew asked.

"Oh." Rapunzel blushed. "I guess you don't know, huh?"

"Know what?" He asked.

"Well, you know how Varian calls me 'Sundrop'?" Rapunzel looked at him fondly. "That's because, when I was born, my mother was dying and my father took the Sundrop Flower and used it to heal her. I was born with its powers, and then I was kidnapped and raised by someone that wasn't my parents, until I was eighteen. Eugene found the tower I was living in by chance and rescued me, nearly died doing it, and cut my hair in the end to free me. I recently ended up finding these black rocks and touched one of them and it made my hair grow back, though I don't have my healing powers now."

"Her hair is indestructible instead." Eugene chimed in.

"Well, it was lucky for Pascal that you were there to heal him, though the circumstances of your living at the tower are rather unfortunate." Andrew said, looking at Pascal.

Rapunzel nodded. "From that day on, we were the best of friends. I hid him from my moth—kidnapper and he kept me company for ten years after." She got up and went to pick Pascal up, kissing him sweetly.

"That's a wonderful story." Andrew smiled.

"Better than how I met Ruddiger, at least." Varian chuckled.

"Oh? How'd you meet him?" Andrew asked.

"I guess the first time I met him was when I was in my dad's orchard, and I heard something squealing. I went over and found a raccoon caught under a root and helped him free. Well, he decided to hang around and kept following me into my lab, even enduring my goo trap, which I originally made to catch pests like that little guy in the first place, and I finally just gave in after he showed up in my bedroom and got cuddly." Varian chuckled. "Dad was exasperated when he saw him, but let him stay."

"That's a good story, too." Andrew assured him. "You helped him, and he decided that he'd pledge his life to you."

Varian chuckled. "I don't know if it's anything as fancy as that, but he does help me out."

Ruddiger purred and stretched before hopping down and climbing onto Varian's lap, nuzzling him affectionately. He smiled and stroked his fur fondly.

"Andrew, do you have any pets back home in Saporia?" Eugene asked casually.

"My people don't keep pets, we have animal partners." Andrew explained. "And I usually just help take care of the pegasi."

"Wait, wait, pegasi? As in, winged horses? Those exist outside of Greek legends?" Eugene asked.

"Indeed, they do." He smiled. "Saporia is..." He faltered. "was..." he cleared his throat. "a land of enchantment. Our people use both science and magic in our day-to-day, and still have even in our current hidden location."