Other Uses for the Shield (NSFW)

The transition back to reality was immediate. There was a brief flash of darkness, then Dean found himself waking up and rising from the bed. Thor was immediately at his side and the two wordlessly dressed before rushing to meet the others. When Kyle appeared at Steve's side, Dean recalled the way he'd used his super powers to help save everyone. Did he truly have these, or was that just another part of the false reality?

"I know everyone has a lot of questions," Steve declared to the others as they sat in the meeting room. His eyes rested on Kyle for a heartbeat. "I know I certainly do."

Kyle looked away, shame flushing his cheeks.

"For now, the most important thing we can do is ensure this doesn't happen again," Steve carried on. "Some of our worst enemies are alive and well. And we've made a few new ones. The White House is secure and there's been no sign of activity with Dr. Doom, Ultron, Magneto, Amora and Loki."

"But there will be," Thor promised. "If this truly is the Loki of old, he will already be planning his next scheme."

"And we'll be ready," Steve said with a tight smile.

"Hold up," Sam said, raising a hand. "There's an aircraft approaching Avalon."

The team collectively stared at the screen, watching as a jet approached.

"That's the X-Men's jet," Kyle said.

After receiving permission to land, Xavier, Jean, Scott and Ororo disembarked and met the team.

"I imagine you would like to hear an explanation for us," Xavier correctly guessed.

"Yeah. I certainly wouldn't mind one," Tony said.

Xavier smiled softly, then began his tale. He explained to the Avengers how mutants had long existed but lived in seclusion for fear of persecution.

"I founded my school, alongside Magneto, so I could help teach young mutants how to co trip their abilities. Jean, Scott and Ororo are some of my students." He looked at Kyle. "And so is Kyle."

"You mean you guys have been around all this time?" Sam asked. "Where were you when Loki invaded earth? Or when Ultron  turned Sokovia into a meteor. Or when Thanos invaded?"

Xavier shut his eyes and nodded. "I refused to let my students be caught up in the dangers of the world. They were children. I wanted to keep them safe. Protect them."

"That's fair," Thor said. "War is no place for children."

"Who else knows about you?" Steve asked.

"Fury knows about us. He came to the school some years back. Trying to recruit myself and Erik for what he called the Avenger Initiative. Naturally, we turned him down. We explained to him that we had students to protect. He promised to keep us a secret."

"Fury does love his secrets," Tony sighed.

"But...now I know that there is more to being a mutant than simply being safe. We have power, and with power..."

"Comes responsibility," Peter finished.

Xavier nodded. "We've come to you because we want to pledge our allegiance. No longer will the X-Men live in the shadows. This is our world and we want to defend it at your side. If you'll have us."