VII. The Snowball of 84'

Tonight was the annual Hawkin's Middle School Snowball. It was only a few days away from Christmas and Benny had to shovel countless driveways in order to buy a half decent suit. He had no idea what he was gonna do, if he was going to dance or not. Who would he dance with?

He heard a honk from outside and opened the door, holding his suit jacket in his hands. He grinned when he saw Steve's car with Dustin in the passengers seat.

"Dude, you're hair!" Benny exclaimed upon seeing Dustin's new 'Steve' hair.

He climbed into the back seat and leaned forward, "What'd you use?"

"Well I-"

"He used my very own. Be honored, kid. I don't just give away my hairspray," Steve interjected and began driving.

"What's so special about your hairspray," Benny mocked.

"How do you think I get this beauty?" Steve motioned towards his hair.

"A lot of chemicals," Benny snorted. The three went back and forth the whole car ride there before Steve stopped in front of the school.

"All right, here we are," Steve turned to look at the school. "So, remember, once you get in there..."

"There's a plan?" Benny looked between Dustin and Steve.

"Just pretend like you don't care," Dustin informed. Benny scoffed and shook his head.

"You don't care," Steve nodded.

"I don't care."

"There you go. You're learning, my friend. You're learning," Steve approved. Dustin went to check himself out in the mirror, but Steve held the mirror in place, "Hey, come on. You look great, okay? You look... you look great. Okay? Now you're gonna go in there... look like a million bucks. And you're gonna slay 'em dead."

"Pardon?" Benny raised his brows.

"Like a lion," Dustin turned to look back and grinned, purring to try to imitate a lion.

"Dude, you've gotta stop doing that," Benny shook his head.

"Yeah... don't do that, okay?" Steve agreed, making Dustin look at him.

"Okay."

"Good luck," Steve held out his hand. Dustin grabbed it and nodded before exiting the car. Benny did the same, but Steve stopped him, "Hey, wait." Benny turned and looked at him. "You don't smell like anything," Steve shook his head.

"Thank you?" Benny tilted his head.

"No, that's bad." Steve reached back to grab a cologne. "Here, use this."

"Does it smell good?"

"Of course it smells good, use it," Steve held it out to him. Benny took it with hesitation and sprayed it on his wrist and neck.

He coughed once and cleared his throat, "You sure this will make an impact."

"Duh. Now go, scram." Steve watched as Benny and Dustin checked into the dance with Mr. Clarke with a proud look.

"Looking very snazzy tonight, gentlemen," Mr. Clarke looked up with a smile.

"Thank you, my lord," Dustin bowed his head. Mr. Clarke signed the two in and sent them on their way. The dance floor was crowded with awkward kids dancing to the music playing. Dustin straightened his suit and passed Nancy with a nod of his head, "Hey, Nance."

"Hey," she watched him walk by with a weird look. When Benny passed, she stopped him, "What's.. going on with him?"

"Steve claims it'll help him 'slay the ladies'," he mocked with a grin. Nancy rolled her eyes as the boy walked away.