𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍

Once I got far enough away, I turned around to see if there was a tall, charming demon in my pursuit

There was no one...

"Ha, fooled ya..." I said to myself, giggling.

There was no way I could leave Shinazugawa behind, no matter what state our relationship was in.

I jumped up into a tree, silently. I retraced my steps back to Sanemi and the demon, knowing good and well he fully expected me to have disappeared by now.

This was our shot.

I began to hear Sanemi's blade up against the fans and the ice, which gave me instant relief. I ran the risk of losing Sanemi in those moments I was away. The curated image of his dead body flashed in my mind, making my heart ache.

We had to finish this Upper Rank quickly, before he could escape.

I glanced down at the demon, his full attention on Shinazugawa.

I waited till an opening came, quietly waiting up in a tree, ready to use the leverage I had to my full advantage.

For a second, Sanemi stepped away, giving me enough space to aim at the demon's neck.

I fell through the air, spinning like a bullet to reach a maximum momentum. Suddenly, my blade stopped on impact as it met the demon's neck.

"Shadow Breathing: Timeless Dusk!"

Abruptly I landed, catching the Upper Moon completely off guard.

"FUCK! SANEMI I CAN'T PUSH IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!" I yelled, hoping Shinazugawa would come help me.

I had forced Douma on his back with the impact of the land, to where I was basically straddling him. I was terrified, because my blade was lodged in his neck, with no way to slash through or force my sword out. This meant my right side was totally vulnerable to an attack.

"Welcome back, sweetie! Sorry, but...you'll never cut through!" Douma said, giggling as if to mock me. But he didn't attack me.

I turned around, seeing the last thing imaginable.

Sanemi was laying face down, motionless...

"SHINAZUGAWA!!" I yelled, as tears desperately filled my eyes. "WAKE UP, DAMMIT!"

Douma continued to laugh, as rage filled my veins, forcing the sword farther through his neck.

Instantly, he stopped laughing, once he realized I was almost 3/4ths of the way through. A blast of cold air blasted me backwards, ripping my sword from my hands as I tumbled back with pain piercing through my lungs.

Now I was without my sword or Sanemi.

I looked over at my fellow Hashira, and I could tell he was still breathing, which calmed me a bit.