Adam

For several weeks now you've been receiving strange gifts on your doorstep. Carcasses of massive animals like moose and bears block you from going to work in the morning. It would be a terrifying bother if you weren't so used to it at this point.

Since you moved in you were warned by some of your older, more knowledgeable neighbors about the rituals that occur in your new home. Oh yes, it was a beautiful and safe neighborhood like something from a fairytale. But it didn't come without its price. Your neighbor with her cauldron and shelves full of twitching bottles and glowing tinctures told you over tea how this little slice of heaven stayed so sweet.

Hearthway Hollow was ruled by a powerful wolf pack, a veritable kingdom considering they were allowed to rule over the small town. She told you that during the day you could not tell them from everyone else in a crowd. You weren't allowed to ask you was a wolf and who was a man. You weren't allowed to guess aloud who was a wolf. And most importantly you weren't allowed to tell if you knew.

It wasn't long after you learned this that you began receiving the gifts. And while the gruesome and gory sight of that headless elk caused you to cry to your neighbor she explained that it was to be taken as an honor. You had been chosen and were being courted.

Surely enough, when you got home the bloody mess had been cleaned and in its place, you received a delivery of skinned and quartered elk meat in various styles. Soon, your weekly delivery of fresh meat had you buying a freezer and sharing your bounty with your helpful neighbors.

You learned that the bigger the prey, the more the wolf who was courting you desired you. And when the bear appeared you were uncertain how much this creature wanted you. You had barely been approached by anyone, and if you had been you had no way of knowing who they were. You weren't allowed to ask, and no matter how much they wanted to say no one could tell you.

When the butcher delivers your gift, wrapped in smooth white paper, you ache to ask him but you know it is not allowed. The butcher only smiles at you, knowing what question plagues your mind.

"They mean no harm in it, it is their tradition, their customs. They bring food to take care of the one they admire," he says, his voice kind and sincere. "They're showing you how strong they are, how capable. They want you to know they can take care of you and provide. It's a promise, really."

"A promise?" You ask.

"Yeah," the butcher, Adam, beams when you ask your question. His eyes are bright and his smile warm. "They're promising you health and happiness. You won't go hungry and you will not worry. Their promise is eternal and full of hope." He leans on the counter, his backside swaying back and forth.

You look down, feeling a bit strange. It is nice to feel so important to someone. But at the same time, they don't really know you.

"Is something wrong?" Adam tilts his head to the side and his blonde curls sway.

You shrug and chuckle softly. "I don't know if I'm worth such a promise," you admit to him. "I have no idea who this wolf is or why he wants to promise anything to me. If I did know, I would tell him to-"

Adam stops you. He reaches out over the counter, grabbing your shoulders and turning you to look at him.

"Don't," he shakes his head and gives you a comforting squeeze. "A wolf knows his mate the moment they see them. It doesn't matter who they are or what they are." His gaze is intense and a little sad. "It is something they know deep within themselves. This person-" his voice cracks and he smiles shyly. "They know that this person is their destiny."

You smile at Adam. "Have you ever felt that before?" You ask.

Adam's eyes widen and then he chuckles nervously, easing back as he lets you go. "If I told you, wouldn't that be giving away the secret?"