Phileas Shows Will the Nereid's Song, as Will Buries His Heart

A carriage speeds past Will as he stands on the edge of a cliff, looking down at the destroyed carriage.  

Will walks up to watch from a distance with the other workers as a select few go about lighting the fuses of dynamite to make way for the pond in the garden. 

The men with the torches just barely get away before the sticks of dynamite explode, and the noise is so great, Will has to close his eyes. 

A newlywed couple’s carriage race past his own, waving happily.  

Will quickly opens his eyes, and is met with the sound of applause as the explosions finally stop. 

Followed by a hand on his shoulder gently pulling him further away from the blast site. 

He turns right as Phileas informs him, “Please don’t be so reckless, Captain.”, coupled with the intensity of his stare before he walks away. 

Will just looks back at where there’s now a hole in the ground, and says nothing. 

Later, as they’ve all sat down for lunch, Will’s having a very interesting conversation with the Archbishop Edward Benson. 

“My wife and her friend Lucy are companions.” He’s telling Will now, who’s already intrigued. 

“I suspect they’ll move in together long after I’m gone, but she’s been a good mother to our children. Many have called us a match made in heaven. I could not have picked better for my bride.” 

Will turns to look across the table, watching Phileas as he sips from his drink. 

“Another big thing about living in a small community is the mud.” Prince Albert says disdainfully as he leads the workers on a walk around the estate. “It gets everywhere. Or the filthy creatures being allowed in keep bringing it with them. Community is covered in it.” 

As he keeps talking, Will and Phileas stay behind, so Phileas uses it as an excuse to strike up a conversation. 

“Life sometimes feels overwhelmingly unbearable, doesn’t it?” 

When Will looks at him, Phileas adds, “When work takes me somewhere like this, bit by bit, there’s a side to me that takes to it rather well.” 

“Does this happen often?” Will asks. 

“Eventually. Given enough time.” Phileas replies. 

There’s nothing to say for the moment, even as Phileas keeps stealing looks at Will, until Will asks, “What of your wife? She doesn’t wish to accompany you?” 

When Phileas doesn’t respond, Will keeps talking foolishly, “I-I only mean that she didn’t wish to accompany you this time?” 

At that, Phileas stops walking entirely, forcing Will to stop as well, feeling like he’s just stepped into uncharted territory. 

“You’re unflinchingly honest, aren’t you, Captain?” Phileas says, then keeps walking, with Will following. 

Then he answers, “Me and my wife have set up an arrangement of sorts. But I do not think it wise to discuss such matters.” 

Now Will looks away in embarrassment, wishing he’d not been so foolish, as Phileas asks him, 

“And you? You’re married as well, I presume?” 

Will has no desire to discuss that , “No.” he says abruptly, hoping that’s the end of it. “I almost did, once. But we're friends. Now.”