十二

~𝚛-𝚎-𝚓-𝚎-𝚌-𝚝-𝚒-𝚘-𝚗 ~

sometimes i wish i never let you go, but then i remember you let me go first

---

before the before

" i love you bunny!" he gushed, his adorable hat falling over his eyes. 

" i love you too."

~

present, 1 year into big hit, 9 months into debut

" i hate you kook!"

" i love you too."

taehyung dropped his plate. it shattered on the floor; jin screeched. 

jungkook threw his hands up, his heart seemed to have jumped out of his chest. " im sorry! i, out of instinct? sarcasm? i mean i do-"

yoongi squinted, his eyes narrowing suspiciously at jungkook. " you do love him?"

was it just jungkook, or did the atmosphere just turn to boiling?

" i mean, yeah," jungkook pulled the collar of his shirt. he felt like he had a fever. " i love all of you."

hoseok squealed. " he loves us, here that jimin?"

" im dying, hobi."

" tae, i swear your literally namjoon! the poor plate, its dead. you wanna go bury it with jimin again?"

" sorry, sorry hyung!"

" you and kook, to your room!"

the two boys hurried around the hall and up the stairs, neither wanting to argue.

" im sorry, i didnt mean it in the way you thought."

taehyung rubbed his hands together and lowly chuckled. " i know. and besides, i already...declined your offer, remeber?"

jungkook's stomach seemed to have fallen to the floor; his legs were suddenly exhausted. 

once upon a time, a month into taehyung's trainee year, jungkook had gotten the idea in his head that, perhaps if he wanted taehyung back, taehyung would want him back too. 

obviously, jungkook never realized how stupid this idea had been until he got rejected. until he experienced the event that he never wanted to rethink again.

~

past, one month into big hit, yet to debut

" hey taehyung, could i talk with you...for a moment?"

taehyung visibly stiffened next to hoseok and stood up. the window's curtains in the kitchen blew open, issuing a beautiful view of a orange ombre with hugging clouds of blue that swayed to no wind. the boy anxiously tugged the locks of his bangs, following jungkook down the corridor and into an empty closet. the door slammed shut.

" w-whatsup?"

" um, so taehyung...me and you..." jungkook looked around apprehensively, his eyes darting from one wall to another. his heart would not remain still; jungkook started to think it wasn't a good idea after all. but, what would he tell taehyung if he didnt have anything to say? oh, i dragged you in a closet for no reason, bye!

" i...i think i want you back." he cleared his throat. " i want you back."

" back? back for what?"

"...uh our relationship."

" excuse me?" taehyung scoffed, unashamed of his obliviousness. " is that a joke?"

" no, no!" jungkook stuttered loudly, his worried flood of chaotic mess invading his train of thought. " our love relationship." 

"what."

" lets get back together."

"...yeah sorry buddy no."

jungkook blinked. " oh."

but suddenly, out of no wear, a cry of sound breaked the extremely ill silence. it was taehyung.

he laughed, he laughed. a sick cry, sharp in the windless night. a howl of freedom to finally fight back. he tossed his head and arched his back, cackling. cackling, cackling, with all honesty, over a layer of pain and disbelief.

" you are so, so stupid, jeon jungkook ! you really believe, truly believe, after you broke my heart and crushed me dead, ill come crawling back to your evil soul in helpless regret? no. right now, we are nothing but bandmates, potential acquaintances. our past love has nothing to do with our future. "

"but thanks." he said, chuckling genuinely. " you made me laugh for the first time in a long, long time."

taehyung opened the closet door and left.

at that moment, taehyung let a flower grow. a flower grow of a future, for him and jungkook-a perhaps unromantic future. a future of empathic love, of beauty desired between two souls that crossed paths once more. because that action that taehyung just achieved-exiting the closet and admitting a rejection-had blossomed a new trail of trips and falls, of laughs and smiles. the bangtan road, the road the group would take, where taehyung and jungkook would of course, be much more than acquaintances. 

and even if taehyung forced himself to not believe that he wanted jungkook back-at night he still cried and dreamt about such longings.

~

really quick, ill edit later!

+tysm for 260+ reads :)