Act Six: Answers

After the introductions, Gluttony grabs Sky while Wrath grabs the princess, who is going by the name Lili, and hoists her onto his shoulder. Though much to her displeasure. And with that, the three sins and the two women headed off towards the merchant town of Barlovia. After about an hour of traveling, Gluttony starts to notice Sky's continued uneasiness about the previous situation, though she still allowed Gluttony to carry her.
Finally he broke the silence. "You have questions. I'll happily answer them for you." He tells her.
She ponders for a moment before answering, her voice shaky and weak. "I...I do have questions. Lots of them"
"Then ask away." Gluttony responds with hints of glee in his voice. "Okay" She responds. "But do you think Lili will want to hear this?" She asks carefully, not wanting to push her luck.
"I don't see why not." Gluttony says. "Here." He says, as he helps Sky over to his back, allowing her to wrap her arms around his neck, and her legs around his waist. He then lengthens his strides until he is behind Wrath.
"Wrath. I can carry her for a bit, if you like." He states nervously.
Wrath looks back over his shoulder. "Nah, I got her. She's not that heavy." He says with a chuckle, causing Lili to kick at him, to no avail.
"Aw, it's no problem, really. I got her." Gluttony responds with a relaxed tone, though it's clear he's forcing it. Wrath ponders for a moment. "Alright." He says. He turns, and passes Lili over, where Gluttony holds her in a bridal carry. This she was thankful for. Then Wrath calls out behind him. "Lust! Run ahead and scope things out. Don't want another ambush." He says as he smiles at Lili. Lust dashes past Gluttony and disappears into the forest, as Wrath picks up his own pace, leaving a good distance between Gluttony and himself.
Sky reaches over Gluttony, and undoes Lili's gag, letting it slide down to her neck.
"Sorry girl. Figured if we were to learn anything, we might as well learn it together." She says with a friendly smile. Lili does almost nothing to hide the anger in her voice as she avoids eye contact with both of them. "You seem overly calm about this whole thing."
"Oh, well, I'm pretty freaked out actually. But i'm getting better." Sky says.
"On that, what questions do you both have?" Gluttony asks.
"Well, what's this about keeping us?" Sky asks carefully.
" Essentially it's slavery." Gluttony starts. " Few of the sins actually take on slaves or servants. But at its core, it means you have impressed us to the point that we claim you as our own. Whether for pleasure or other."
The unease about the explanation hangs on the faces of the girls. Gluttony continues, careful about his word choice. "It sounds worse than it is. Both Wrath and I rarely take servants. Actually, you're my first." He says, peering up at Sky. "Claiming you also guarantees your protection. Being marked as our property, not a soul will mess with you."
This fact didn't help clear the tension any more.
"Why did you kill everyone back there?" Sky asks with sadness over her fallen comrades.
"Because they were foolish. The soldiers for attacking us, and the others for telling us we were to be paid upon our arrival to the kingdom, as well as giving us directions to get there beforehand. They gave up their usefulness almost instantly." He stated bluntly.
"Then why me? Why her?" Sky asks.
"I chose you because...well you're very pretty. And I couldn't stand the idea of you getting killed." He says. Sky hides her face behind Gluttonies as it starts to heat up. "As for her, she must have impressed Wrath greatly. It's rare for him to take on a prize like you after such an easy battle. He must have seen great potential in you. It's a great honor." He says.
"Honor?" Lili asks, her voice filled with irritation and rage. "It's an honor to be taken as a slave!?" She shouts. "How can you even say that?!"
Gluttony stares ahead, a blank expression still on his face.
"I believe it is due to our fiendish physiology." He says with the same blank expression on his face. Sky and Lily's eyes widen in surprise.
"People call us demons, but in reality, we are more like devils. Fiends of incredible power and strength. It also eliminates our apathy for mortals. Being a lesser species, makes it an honor to be both killed, and put to service by the sins."
"So what you're saying is.." Sky starts, before Gluttony finishes her thoughts.
"Yes. None of the Seven Deadly Sins are human any longer."
The silence afterwards seems to come from the entire forest.
Sky is the first to speak. "So that explains what happened in the forest. How you were able to...you know."
Sky hesitates on her words. The trauma still haunts her.
"Yes," Gluttony starts. " Each of the sins possess numerous abilities tied to our sin.
I possess the ability 'devour'. It allows me to eat anything. I also possess the ability 'thick fat'. It eliminates the effects of all physical attacks directed at me."
"So that makes you invulnerable?" Sky asks.
"For the most part. But no strength is without weakness. I am plagued by the curse of 'Starvation'. No matter what mortal items I consume, my hunger can not be satisfied. The only thing that can halt the hunger, is humans. Flesh, blood, bones. It all stops the 'Starvation' even if it's for a small amount of time."
"What of the others? What of Wrath?" Lili asks. Her voice and sudden interest takes Gluttony off guard.
"Also, you mentioned something about the Sins no longer being human? Does that mean you were human once?" Sky asks.
"That is the theory." Gluttony says. "It is believed that all devils were once human. But the evil inside them was immense enough to turn them into devils. But I know very little. Wrath on the other hand, might know more, considering he is the eldest among the sins."
"Eldest?" Sky asks, her curiosity peaked.
"The sins weren't all born at the same time. Wrath was the first one born some thousand years ago. At least, that is what is believed." Gluttony states.
"As for his abilities. Even the sins know next to nothing about them. He currently has two we know about. 'Domination' and 'Fear'. The first of which causes a spectrum of effects, the lowest of which is fainting. The height of the domination is instant death. And 'fear' is pretty self explanatory. But according to the legends, his powers are near infinite." Gluttony says. A shadow falling over him.
"You make it sound like these legends are true?" Lili says, with the hint of a question behind her voice.
"It is unknown if they are true. But believing in them is still the smart thing to do. It is especially wise to believe the two most popular legends. The first is more of a warning. It is to avoid the one who has angered the sin of Wrath, for the shadow of death is upon them." Gluttony says.
"And the second?" Lili asks, her curiosity peaked.
"The second is about the one that the sin of Wrath falls in love with. The one to control the heart of Wrath, would control the Seven Deadly Sins. As we follow the loyalty of Wrath, and his loyalty would be to this woman." Gluttony says.
"Is that so." Lili whispers under her breath, a sly smile creeping onto her face.
Suddenly, the trees above them shake and something drops from them, heading for Gluttony's head. In a feat of grace Lili never thought possible, Wrath lands carefully balanced on top of Gluttony's head, in a crouched position. Gluttony appears unaffected, to the point of not showing any reaction at all.
"Hey big guy. We found a place to camp for the night. Wanna head over there now?" Wrath asks.
Both the girls look up, surprised to see that the sun has nearly set.
"Yeah, that sounds good." Gluttony responds.
"Great. Just follow the smell." Wrath replies, before leaping back into the trees.
"When he says follow the smell..?" Sky starts, before Gluttony lifts his head to the air, and starts taking long breaths through his nose. After three or four, he starts marching off in the direction of the camp site.
"Oh." The girls say in unison.

~Enjoy the Cookies~
Frookie