17 || BAD TIMING AND TERRIBLE DECISIONS

On a cold March night, the fifth-year students find their way to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. They huddle together to keep warm while waiting for Hagrid to organize himself and give them instructions for this special class. Hagrid thought it would be a great idea to take the students into the forbidden forest and catch sight of magical creatures who only come out at night.

Lyra is very hesitant about the idea, but since it's graded, she doesn't have much choice. She doesn't believe that Hagrid is a good professor. He gets overwhelmed with the class sizes and doesn't quite know how to lead. Something she'll give him is the fact that he knows a lot about the creatures he cares for. That doesn't mean he knows how to teach.

Once everyone arrives, he sets off into the forest with a torch in his meaty hands and his mutt by his side. The students follow him as he separates them into groups and leaves them to their own devices to annotate what creatures they see. He's hoping they can see mooncalves, a few foxes, and unicorns if they are lucky enough. They weren't that deep into the forest, so they weren't in immediate danger.

Hagrid stops in a small clearing dropping off Lyra's group. It included Adrian, who was holding her hand, Marcus Flint, George Weasley, Lee Jordan, and Alicia Spinnet. Lyra was expecting Fred to be with them, but he kept walking with Hagrid with his arm thrown around Angelina Johnson. With a warning to not move, the groundskeeper tells them he'd be back in an hour to pick them up.

Lyra has a bad feeling. She knows something is bound to happen tonight. Nothing good ever comes from going into the Forbidden Forest and leaving a group of Slytherins and Gryffindors alone.

The group of six keep themselves divided, looking around the clearing and the bushes to try and spot any sort of creature. Lyra keeps close to Adrian, quietly talking to him, ignoring the chill nipping at her. She can't help but occasionally glimpse in George's direction. One of those times, he catches her eye and sends her a smile she reciprocates.

"Careful there, Weasley. We don't want anything to happen to you before the big match," Marcus sarcastically says.

"So nice of you to care, Flint. You don't want to be robbed of the opportunity of making the damage yourself?" George bites back.

It's common knowledge that Marcus likes to play dirty. Lyra might not care for the sport, but she is not proud of the cheating that goes on in the matches, and surprisingly it's something Adrian agrees with.

But in defense of his best friend and not resisting arguing with a Gryffindor, Adrian pipes in, "We won't have to do anything. The dementors will take care of you a lot. Poor Potter keeps fainting."

George and Lee glare at the laughing boys. Lyra stands to the side, attempting to look indifferent at their taunts. If it were other times and she hadn't befriended George, she would've laughed too, but now it wasn't as funny.

The Slytherins laughs are interrupted by a howl, "What was that?" Adrian asks.

"You've never heard howl before, Pucey?" Lee Jordan responds mockingly.

"Don't be a smart ass, Jordan," Adrian sneers.

As they bicker, Lyra finds a spot in the clearing where the tree branches don't block the night sky. She notices that tonight is the full moon, and the forbidden forest is the last place they should be.

"It's a full moon," she announces, worry written on her face.

"I'm out of here," Marcus exclaims, beginning to walk the same way Hagrid brought them.

"But Hagrid said we should stay here," Alicia Spinnet points out, crossing her arms.

"The same person who brought us here on a full moon?" Adrian sarcastically asks, "I'm not taking any chances."