Chapter 5

Office of the Secretary General
United Nations Headquarters, Earth
May 25, 2487, 1417 UT

Vincente Colón sat at his desk preparing for his weekly lunch with members of the General Assembly. One of his favorite parts of the job, this involved meeting with his colleagues informally, without the pressure of politics and discuss Earth's real needs. He found that many times, the best work was done during these lunches. And, of course, the food served at these lunches was top notch. As he was preparing to leave, his comm unit chimed.

"Yes?" the Secretary General asked his Administrative Assistant.

"Defense Minister Weber is asking to see you. He says it's urgent," came the reply.

"Send him in," Colón said. Alex entered the room briskly closing the door before he spoke.

"Mr. Secretary General, Kylar II is under attack by Batronian spacecraft. Damage to Naval Base Oscar and the fleet appears to be severe," Alex said, the stress clear in his voice.

"They what?" Colón exclaimed running his hand through his thinning gray hair.

"Sir, we have confirmation through multiple sources."

Colón press the button on the comm unit. "Cancel all of my appointments," he ordered his Administrative Assistant. He turned to Alex. "Have the Batronian Embassy secured. No one is permitted to leave the Embassy. I will arrange for the Batronians to be transported back to Batron at my earliest opportunity."

"Already working on securing it, sir," Alex replied having known this attack would require those measure as a first response. He was still in shock at the news. The fleet appeared to be caught completely off guard and Alex knew the casualties would be high.

"Get the First Fleet underway just outside of our system to protect Earth." The first fleet was headquartered at Naval Base Alpha in Houston, TX with the fleet in docks above Earth. Like the rest of the navy, unfortunately there hadn't been the funds to keep training up. However, with a direct attack against one of Earth's systems, precautions had to be made. "All available ships," he added.

"Yes, sir," Alex replied.

"Recall all military personnel and active all reserve units," Secretary General Colón said. "God help us."

Near Fourth Fleet Headquarters
Naval Base Oscar, Kylar II
May 25, 2487, 0738 Local, 1418 UT

The intensity of the attack seemed to be subsiding as Andrew made his way back to Admiral Morris. As Andrew told him that the message had been broadcast to the fleet as well as to the Minister of Defense, the Admiral pulled out a cigar and lit it. A Third Class Master-at-Arms, equivalent to a civilian police officer, arrived and saluted Admiral Morris.

"Sir, headquarters for both Carrier Squadron One and Battleship Squadron Three have been destroyed. Destroyer Squadron Ten's headquarters have been damage, but should remain standing," the Master-at-Arms reported.

"Survivors?" the Admiral asked.

"At least a few from Carrier Squadron One. I imagine the same with Battleship Squadron Three. Destroyer Squadron Ten should be better," The attack had practically seemed to stop, although a few Batronian spacecraft were descending and strafing personnel with lasers.

"Very well, dismissed," Admiral Morris said. The master-at-arms saluted and left quickly. "Wilson, go over to the Space Center and get me a damage report."

Aye, sir," Andrew replied as he turned toward his vehicle.

ESS Argentina (D-868)
Near Kylar II
May 25, 2486, 1418 UT