Chapter 6

Naval Space Center
Naval Base Oscar, Kylar II
May 25, 2487, 1007 Local, 1847 UT

Max Finley had spent the past hour helping clear the tarmac of the Space Center as spacecraft from both Dallas and London arrived at Kylar II. A temporary control tower had been erected using scaffolding. A fuel transport was being used to refuel the spacecraft since the underground tanks had been destroyed in the attack. The fuel tanks were still burning, filling the air with thick, black smoke. Fortunately, the carriers were sending back the craft fully armed. There was little left in the way of missiles at the Space Center in the wake of the attack.

All around Max, hundreds of naval personnel and Assault Forces troopers worked side by side. As the tarmac was cleared, construction men began repairs, pouring concrete and attempting to get as much of the center operational as possible. Heavy equipment had been brought in an hour ago and was removing the destroyed spacecraft. It seemed impossible to Max that not one of Earth's spacecraft had left the ground during the attack, but that was apparently exactly what had happened. They caught us that off guard, Max thought.

Max drew a deep breath. The sky was perfectly clear, only clouded by the smoke from the fires still burning. If it wasn't for the devastation around him, it would have been a beautiful day. As he looked up, twelve spacecraft approached the Space Center. Every time spacecraft approached, Max felt tense. But once again, these were Earth's craft. They circled the base, then landed on a portion of the tarmac that had been cleared. A ground controller directed the craft to the area where they would be refueled.

ESS Argentina (D-868)
In Orbit, Kylar II
May 25, 2487, 1930 UT

Just over five hours after the attack on Kylar II, Argentina was towed alongside ESS Appalachian Mountains (RS-3), one of the two repair ships at Kylar II. Since Argentina's damage was limited to hull damage and damage to her thrusters, it was determined that she would be one of the first ships to be repaired. Docked on the other side of Appalachian Mountains was ESS Lake Erie (C-96), a 940-foot long cruiser that also managed to avoid serious damage during the attack.

Ensign Singleton walked with Command Williams as the XO toured the ship. The mood on the ship was somber. The wounded and dead were being moved to Appalachian Mountains to be transferred to the surface. As they moved forward, there were signs of damage everywhere: scorch marks from fires, water on the deck from firefighting efforts and doors that were sealed leading to compartments that were open to space with holes that couldn't quickly be patched.

Despite the damage, activity on the ship was picking up as Hull Technicians from the repair ship joined Argentina's Hull Technicians in assessing the damage to Argentina's hull and beginning repairs. Thruster Technicians were disconnecting equipment in the Forward Thruster Control room preparing to receive new machinery to replace what had been destroyed. Hull Technicians were also in the Forward Thruster Control room, beginning to make permanent repairs to the damage that Repair Two's fire team had patched earlier.

"I can't believe this," Al told the XO as he surveyed the scene.

"Yeah, I know." Commander Williams replied. "Let's get the crew busy. If we give them something to do, they can focus on their job rather than thinking about what happened. Let's get people in here to get the water off the decks and paint the bulkheads. We need to ensure the ship is combat ready as quickly as possible."

"Aye, sir," Al replied. He turned and headed out to carry out the XO's orders. After he had left, the Captain approached the XO.

"Attention on Deck!" someone shouted as soon as the Captain was sighted.