Chapter 7

Headquarters Destroyer Squadron Ten
Naval Base Oscar, Kylar II
May 27, 2487, 0730 Local, 1410 UT

A thunderstorm rolled over Naval Base Oscar in the early morning hours of the 27th. Thunderstorms were common on Kylar II due to its tropical environment, but this storm was particularly strong. Lightening flashed almost continuously followed by the roar of thunder. Rain came down torrentially, with water puddling in debris and muddying the ground where the attack had bared it.

Admiral Morris sat in his temporary office at the Headquarters of Destroyer Squadron Ten, one of only two squadron headquarters that weren't destroyed during the attack. Stealth Squadron Three managed to avoid any damage, but the building was too small to handle even the decimated staff of Fourth Fleet. Admiral Morris stared out of the window and watched the storm as he reflected upon the disaster. The numbers were mind-numbing. Over 3100 dead. Another 2800 wounded. The Space Center practically destroyed. Although spacecraft could land and refuel there, no maintenance on the craft could be performed. Hangers were gone, so spacecraft were sitting on the tarmac, even in this weather. Almost 60% of the buildings at Naval Base Oscar had been damaged or destroyed. The Commands of both Carrier Squadron One and Battleship Squadron Three were dead. Many Commanding Officers of smaller units were also dead, including the Commanding Officer of the Communications Center where Kaitlyn had worked. And finally, the fleet. Of the 47 ships on Kylar II on May 25, only eight (the two supply ships, the two repair ships and four of the assault ships) were undamaged. 27 ships were destroyed and the remaining eleven were damaged, some very severely.

As the storm continued outside, Admiral Morris began to note the positives. The four carriers had not been at Kylar II. London and Dallas were out of the system finishing training exercises. Beirut was in the lunar shipyards for maintenance and Tokyo was at Masic Point when the attack occurred. In addition to Beirut and Tokyo, 25 other Fourth Fleet ships were not at Kylar II during the attack. Many of these were at Masic Point. Since First Fleet was moving ships toward Masic Point, Morris would be able to bring at least some of his ships from there to reinforce Kylar II.

In addition, Admiral Morris had ordered that the Fourth Division of the Naval Assault Forces be moved from Masic Point to Kylar II. The Fifth Division would remain at Masic Point.

But then what? Even with all the ships he was recalling, he would have less than 30 at Kylar II. And at Omar IV, he had only a cruiser and three destroyers, one of which was already damaged. He didn't have enough available to begin a counter attack. Hell, he really didn't have enough to prevent Batron from occupying Kylar II if they chose to do so.

As the storm continued to rage outside, Morris moved to the outer office where Wilson would normally be. With Wilson in the hospital, Admiral Morris had to handle his own schedule. He could, of course, have another Yeoman temporarily assigned, but that seemed to be disloyal to Wilson, who not only was injured in the attack, but lost his fiancé.

The Admiral noted that Carol Anderson was due at 0900. Hopefully, the representative of the Secretary General had luck questioning the Batronian prisoner. But even if she did, how could he fight a war with only 29 ships?

Naval Hospital
Naval Base Oscar, Kylar II
May 27, 2487, 0750 Local, 1430 UT

Andrew awoke with a jump after watching the apartment building fall on top of Kaitlyn in his dream with tears rolling down his cheek. Admiral Morris had told him that Kaitlyn had saved the lives of many by leading civilians and children to the basement shelter before the building was struck. She was a hero; the Admiral had said. But, how am I supposed to go on without her? Andrew asked himself for the hundredth time since he learned of her death.