Chapter 10

ESS Nile River (C-94)
Omar System
June 6, 2487, 0512 UT

ESS Nile River slowed as she entered the Omar System, flanked by the destroyers ESS Egypt (D-845) and ESS Finland (D-846). Nile River, commissioned in 2463 and both destroyers, commissioned in 2465, were among the oldest ships in the Navy. All three ships had fought together at Masic Point and it was fitting that all three would once again fight together at Omar. The ships sped past Omar VIII, seemingly undetected by the Batronian ships. Maybe they just aren't looking, thought Captain Joseph Clark, Commanding Officer of Nile River. Maybe they are overconfident. The ship was large compared to the two destroyers. She was 910 feet long with a 225-foot beam. Her primary weapons, two 325-mm gun turrets, were more than capable of punching holes into even the thickest armor of an enemy ship. Like his ship, Captain Clark, a large man at 6'4" and 245 pounds, had served at Masic Point. Nile River was at General Quarters as were the two destroyers

"Sir, we will be in range of the 325-mm guns in four minutes," the Quartermaster of the Watch reported.

"Very well," the Captain acknowledged, his heart pounding as he relived the days of combat.

"Sir, Egypt and Finland report they are within missile range," the Communications Officer reported over the comm unit from the Communications Shack.

"Have them target the closest carrier and hold fire until we open fire with the main gun," the Captain said.

Clark analyzed the Batronian force. Fortunately, for Nile River and the destroyers, the Batronians were set up to protect their ships for an attack from Omar IV. The carriers were stationed in a high orbit with the destroyers and cruisers orbiting between the carriers and the planet. This left the carriers open to an attack from Nile River's position. As Nile River approached Omar VI, the Batronians appeared to finally notice.

"Captain, firing range in two minutes," the Quartermaster reported

Command Center
Naval Base Quebec, Omar IV
June 6, 2487, 0814 Local, 0514 UT

"Ma'am, ESS Nile River, ESS Egypt and ESS Finland are passing Omar VI enroute to enemy positions," a Third Class Sensor Technician reported. Unlike the commands located on Naval Base Quebec, the ships were not under her direct control. Earth's spaceships always maintained an independent command to allow decisions to made on the ship by its Commanding Officer allowing him to act on his own authority. The ships were notifying her as a courtesy, not seeking her permission. Still, the ships were the best weapons that were available at the time to try to repel the Batronian invasion.

"Very well," Captain Harrington said. Over the last 40 minutes, she had managed to get more naval personnel to man the BA-75s and SL-21s that had been manned by the Third Regiment, who had abandoned them when they moved out for Zelerod. "Can we wend some spacecraft to support them?"

"Yes, ma'am," the Commander of the Fifteenth Attack Wing said as he moved to a comm unit.

ESS Nile River (C-94)
Omar System
June 6, 2487, 0516 UT

Gunner's Mate First Class Bill Phillips was the gun crew leader for Turret One, the forward 325-mm gun aboard Nile River. The 34-year-old from Laos Beach, Kylar II led a crew of two other Gunner's Mates in the turret. Unlike smaller gun mounts, turrets required multiple personnel. One person controlled the orientation of the gun, another controlling elevation and a leader who controlled the targeting computer and actually fired the gun.

"Left five," Bill ordered. The Third Class Gunner's Mate handling the orientation controls brought the gun slightly to the left.

On the bridge, Captain Clark watched the sensor display. "In range," the Quartermaster reported.