Chapter 14

Charlie Flight
Omar System
June 8 2487, 0455 UT

Chris watched the battleship moving toward Charlie Flight and the assault crafts that they were escorting as they passed Omar VIII.

"C-Dog, you know that I hate to ask stupid question, but have you noticed that large Batronian ship moving to intercept us?" Don Franklin asked.

"Yeah, I see it Dreamer," Chris said smiling as he thought of Don. Like Chris, Don would know that fighter spacecraft would be no match for the behemoth.

"Again, with the stupid questions, but umm...do we plan on doing anything about it?" Don asked.

Chris had to practically bite his cheek to keep him from laughing. "That's an affirmative, Dreamer."

Don looked at the battleship that was getting larger as it rapidly got closer. "Umm, may I ask when?" Don asked. Just as the question came out of his mouth, a bright flash appeared in space as a missile struck the battleship.

"I would say about now," Chris said no longer able to contain his laughter.

ESS Armstrong (SS-16)
Omar System
June 8, 2487, 0455 UT

"Bring her about!" Commander Carl Adams ordered as he watched two of the four missiles he had fired hit the Batronian battleship. Armstrong was in stealth mode and had managed to close in on the enemy and fire without being detected.

"Left thrusters at full, coming about," the helmsman replied as the stealth ship began to turn.

"Fire missiles five through eight," ordered Commander Adams.

"Missiles five through eight away, sir," the Weapons Officer replied as the 200-foot-long ship continued to turn.

"Reload all missile launchers! Thrusters down full!" the Captain ordered.

ESS Argentina (D-868)
Near Omar System
June 8, 2487, 0456 UT

Yeoman First Class Andrew Wilson and Boatswains Mate Apprentice John Bennett were both asleep in the forward berthing on the fifth deck of the destroyer, located aft of the missile launchers and one deck above Repair Locker Two.

"Hostile spacecraft inbound! General Quarters! General Quarters! All hands man your battle stations! This is not a drill!" a voice shouted over the intercom followed by the clanging of the klaxon.

Andrew jumped up, adrenaline pumping, as he quickly pulled on his uniform. The berthing area grew loud as men and women opened and shut lockers, yelling and encouraging each other to hurry. Andrew pushed his way through other crewmembers as he hurried to get to his battle station. John Bennett noticed the black man who forced his way by him. Although, John did not know Andrew, he was aware that the First Class Yeoman was new and always seemed to be tense and didn't interact with anyone else, but John figured that would be normal. Rumor had it that the Yeoman had been on Kylar II when it was attacked and no one could imagine what it was like on the ground during the attack.

John Bennett finished dressing and headed down to the sixth deck to Repair Two where he dressed in his pressure suit quickly as he tried to finish waking up.

Andrew reached Mount 54, powered up the gun, tested the controls and then pressed a button on the comm unit. "CIC, Mount 54, manned and ready," he announced hoping that the Batronians would show up this time.

On the bridge, Al Singleton arrived at the sensor display. He looked over the data. "Captain, I have 76 Batronian craft inbound. ETA six minutes. Recommend course 141 by 306," the Ensign calmly said.