Chapter 13

The Alola Invitational was being shown on the tv in the arrivals terminal where a young woman arrived from Maleo Island. Her long brown hair hung in loose braids as it framed her hazel eyes while a small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as she watched Aaron's Lucario obliterate his opponents Salamance in just one powerful move.

"I didn't think he was that strong but there is a reason he is the champion, right Vaporeon?" The young woman said to her partner at her side. "Lance never stood a chance to begin with. It's a shame really, Lance used to be one of the best. Oh well, let's go get registered!"

She walked up to the counter where Nurse Joy was registering trainers for the Island Challenge as they arrived from the other Islands.

"Welcome to Melemele Island!" Nurse Joy said with a smile to the young brunette. "Are you here to register for the Island Trials to enter the Alola League?"

The young woman nodded with a smile. "Mmhm! I sure am!" She handed Nurse Joy her Pokédex. "I believe this is all i need to register?"

"Absolutely! Let me just scan it for you." Nurse Joy said as she took the Pokédex and placed it on a scanning device. "Perfect, your all set! Good luck out there Cina, it's not going to be easy by any means." Nurse Joy said as she handed the Pokédex back to its owner.

Cina smiled once more. "Thanks Nurse Joy! I will make sure to be safe and to look after my Pokémon!"

With that Cina turned around and walked out of the terminal and into the city. She was excited to see just how strong she was.

———————————————————————

Ash had just defeated Lance in the quarter finals. Lucario had carried the whole battle, eliminating all six of the Champion's Pokémon without breaking a sweat.

The final four were not a surprise to anyone. Aaron, Gladion, Guzma and Acerola were the last ones standing with most bets being on Gladion and Aaron meeting in the final match, just like they did in the first Alola League finals.

Aurora and Queen Ilene had been in awe at the pure power each of Aaron's team members had. They were both in agreement  that he had been holding back in all of his training matches so as to help the others but they also agreed that holding back was making them lazy.

Ash was walking towards the Melemele Port to see how the sign up was going. With just two days until the end of the Alola Invitational and the start of the Alola League Entry period, he hadn't been keeping a close watch on it. He knew there had been some entrants from out of region but had no clue about what the real numbers were.

Aurora was walking beside Ash, her hair done up in a regal looking braid that ran from the right just above her eye to the left at the back, draping over her shoulder and ending with a bunch of fresh flowers that had been woven into the ends.

"Come on Aaron, you should be happy! You and the Alola  Elite are into the semi finals!" She said with a grin, trying to get Ash to smile as well. "We all know it will be you and Gladion in the final so why do you look so morose?"

Ash, still in his Aaron disguise, shook his head as a smile graced his face at her enthusiasm. "It's not that I'm not happy Aurora, I'm just deep in thought. We have 124 spots available in the League and if we don't even get that many applicants then what's the point of all the effort that we have put into the building of the gyms and training of the leaders and students?"

Aurora stopped in her tracks at what her companion had just said. Was he really being a pessimist? This was Ash, the eternal optimist even after what had happened to him with the betrayal.