Chapter 9: 'You should never be embarrassed'

Back at the Thompson house 10 minutes later, Liz was stunned to be woken up by a knock at the door.

"Who could that be? At this hour of the morning?," Liz asked herself as Ed continued to sleep tight next to her, oblivious as usual. 

Spotting the police car out the window, Liz pulled on a dressing gown and rushed downstairs to open the front door.

Morrison: "I do believe this is your daughter?"

Liz: "Yes...Molly are you ok? What's happened? I thought you were at Becky's?"

Molly: "I'm ok mom, don't worry."

Liz couldn't help noticing Molly's bare feet as she spoke and it made her feel very concerned about her daughter.

Morrison: "I've just picked her up from the school. But she seems fine."

Liz: "The SCHOOL? At this time of night? Molly...."

Morrison: "We're not sure what happened to her shoes, though."

Having awoken now and made it downstairs, Ed just caught the tail end of that exchange.

Ed: "Molly? You were at school? At what, 3 in the morning?"

Morrison: "I've spoken with Molly and it seems it was just an unfortunate lapse in concentration on her part that led to this. No foul play is suspected."

Ed: "Well, that's something. Thank you for bringing her home, officer."

Morrison: "Only doing my duty. She seems fine to me, but she is exhausted and a bit disorientated. She will need a lot of rest. Good night."

Nick tricked her way into the Thompson household at the start of series 1

Meanwhile, Nick had also woken up amid the commotion and perched herself at the top of the stairs, shaking with worry about what might be said next. But she'd just have to trust Molly to know what was good for her in this situation.

As Morrison got back into his patrol car and drove off, Molly tried to disappear upstairs but Liz didn't let her.

Liz: "Young lady, please. Talk to me."

Molly duly plonked herself down on the sofa.

Ed: "Look love, we just want to know that you are ok and that nothing bad happened to you."

Liz: "Yes, I mean, for a start, you arrive home bare foot! What's going on, Molly?"

That part worried Nick. How was that going to be explained?

"I just had a really bad day," Molly started

Oh yeah, Nick thought to herself, she was done for now. She may as well just pack her bags and leave. 

Molly: "I...you see, well it's really embarrassing."

Ed: "Darling, you know that you can tell us anything. And everything will be ok. As always."

Just the thought of returning to the Harbaughs filled Nick with dread; she'd rather sleep on the streets of Oregon. But Molly didn't let her down. 

"I got locked in school. It was my own stupid fault. It was a nice afternoon and I was out the courtyard doing homework, and when I tried to go home I was locked in," Molly told her parents. 

At the top of the stairs, Nick breathed a huge sigh of relief. It looked like she was off the hook.

Liz: "I see. But, why didn't you let us know this earlier? And why did you lie to us on the phone about being at Becky's house?"

Molly: "I just didn't know what to do. I was embarrassed."

Ed: "Love, you should never be embarrassed. Come here."

Molly embraced her father while Liz shook her head.

Liz: "Now it's time for you to go to bed, young lady."

Molly: "Is Nick here?"

Out of sight, Nick has been perched at the top of the stairs listening to the whole exchange 

Liz: "Yes, as far as I know. Unless she's gone and got herself locked into the local... library or something!"

Ed: "Liz! That was uncalled for."

Liz: "I'm sorry. I just can't... I mean... sorry, ok. No more questions!"

But she had plenty more questions for Molly, Liz thought to herself as she kept looking down at the girl's feet. What had she been up to tonight, Liz wondered. 

Ed: "There's no judgment here, Molly. Not from me, anyway. I - we, I hope - are just pleased you are home safe."

Molly: "Thanks, Dad."

Molly wasn't looking forward to facing Nick upstairs. But at least she could do so without the repercussions that would surely have followed if she'd dobbed the tougher girl in. Or so she hoped...