Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

London was so beautiful when it was lit up at night. It really is. I didn't even suspect that the jail I was in was in the midst of London. It felt really great to be back in England, just the atmosphere of it felt refreshing; the freezing chills, the starless sky, the all-night traffic.  

I would've been able to enjoy it all much better if Sam and I weren't being chased by cops... 

Sam was driving. Yes, the blonde haired, broad-shouldered Sam that I hadn't seen in so long was rescuing me, my knight in shining armour. Will could barely believe it either. Once recusing him from just a couple of cells down, the three of us took off in Sam's car. I couldn't help but keep prodding Sam, keep touching to check if he was real. I wasn't being creepy (okay, maybe I was) but I still couldn't believe that there was a living, breathing, talking Sam when he was supposed to be dead.  

There wasn't time to ask questions because we were literally escaping with just the scrapes of our teeth. The wailing noises of the police sirens behind us and the flashing blue lights made it clear that they were onto us. We were the bad guys in this situation - we always had been - trying to get away. I definitely didn't see myself as someone bad. I had done bad things but that didn't mean I was meant to be in jail, right? I guessed the cops had different ideas.  

We were doing sixty miles per hour across the London Bridge.  

"Christ!" I shouted. Unfortunate for us, there was no roof on this car and the deathly cold wind sliced my skin like knives. My short hair was like a black cape trailing behind me. "How are we going to escape?" None of us had wanted to be the odd one out sitting in the back seat so I was finding myself sitting on Will's lap, the only kind of seatbelt coming from Will's arms snaking around my waist. 

"We need to get out of London first!" Sam said, his hands gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles were completely white. "I'm going to do a few...sharp turns."  

I clutched onto Will, horror struck across my face.  

I didn't know what to think about any of this...London was flashing by so fast I didn't know where to look. All I could hear were wails...all I could think about was our baby...I didn't want it getting hurt because of me... 

Sam was an incredibly skilled driver. I had never noticed before. He had obviously done a few of these car chases in his lifetime.  

He hadn't been joking when he said 'a few sharp turns'. Oh no. He definitely hadn't been joking. These turns were so sharp and so fast that it felt like I was going to fall-out. I didn't want to be the scared little girl holding onto someone braver but I really had to if I didn't want to get thrown overboard. I wished there was something I could do, something I could do to get us out of this mess. I tried thinking...amidst the chaos I tried to think...but nothing came to mind. 

The sirens were still there in the background, however getting fainter.  

"I think we're getting away!" I shouted.  

Neither Sam nor Will answered. They were concentrating too much on what they were doing to hear me stating the obvious. Sam was driving, not worrying about where he was going while Will gave him directions. I had no idea where we were going but I trusted them to take us somewhere safe. I no longer saw Sam as a traitor. Sam wasn't a traitor for God's sakes. He'd broken into prison and saved Will and I. Surely that outweighed the good from the bad?  

The police were getting further and further away, the gap between us was getting bigger and bigger until it was nothing, until the night was silent.  

That didn't mean that Sam went any slower though, oh no, if anything we went quicker. I guessed he seemed to think that the police had disappeared to try a different tactic. He thought that maybe they'd suddenly jump out the front of us or something.