Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I stumbled down the stairs, clutching the banister, my muscles feeling heavy and tired. All of the walking from yesterday had seriously made my legs floppy, not to mention completely wear me out. As soon as my head had hit the pillow, I was asleep and I didn't wake up the entire night.  

It was a usual morning: Luke and Sam were trying to beat one another in a round of video games before school and Will had already left for the garage. Seb was no-where in sight.  

I was actually kind of worried about Will. He had been avoiding me all last night and even went to bed early. I didn't want to ask because I didn't think we were close enough to say anything. Maybe it was dawning on him that Mack had almost killed him? I didn't think it was that, because he had spent the whole day before reassuring me about how he was fine, so I decided it couldn't be that. I had spent the evening in puzzlement, Sam agreeing with me but telling me that it would probably pass by the time he came home from work, saying that it was just stress. I hoped Sam was right. I had never seen Will in such a bad mood before.  

I spent the morning up in my room, working on my comic. I hadn't managed to do much of it since I had been here so I was determined to complete another chapter of it. Rio and Lena had met for the second time. They had to do everything in secret and if Rio's friends found out about Lena, then they would kick Rio out of the alien army. Rio was trying to smuggle an Emza gem to help Lena get home but, at that moment, it had been impossible.  

While listening to Capital FM on the radio, I was enjoying my little me time. I hadn't had much of it, to be honest, because I had never really been alone. It was clearing my mind, thankfully, about yesterday and I was able to relax. I would ask Will about it all later, when he was in a better mood.  

The rest of the day went by in a lazy haze. After lunch I got dressed, taking a small jog round the block to get my brain into gear. I then used Sam's laptop to email my Mum and tell her that I was fine and settling in well with my new room-mates. I told her I had a job, but I didn't say what. I thought it'd be best to keep that out of it. I made sure to keep it short and brief, just like everything my Mum and I had exchanged over the years.  

At half-past five when Will came home, I was hoping his mood had brightened. When he saw me sitting in the living room, sprawled across the sofa while I watched the telly with Sam, his face instantly darkened and quickly stomped up the stairs before I could say anything.  

Sam and I exchanged confused glances. "I wonder what's wrong?"  

In reply, Sam sighed. "Who knows?" 

But I had a sneaky suspicion that I did. Had I done something wrong? Had I delivered the package to the wrong house? "I think it's me," I whispered, staring at the floor and frowning. He had spoken to Seb and Sam yesterday...but not me? Or Luke, for that matter?  

My eyes widened as the possibility dawned on me. Did he know? 

"What?" Sam frowned.  

Realizing that what I had thought I had actually said out loud, I shook my head, holding my head. "Nothing." Slowly rising from the sofa, I left Sam in the living room and, without a word, slowly made my way up the stairs. Remembering what room Will's was from my search of a clean sheet, I raised my hand to knock on his door. I hesitated for a moment. Did I want to do this? Was this really what Will was moody about? Did he see Luke and I kiss one another and think we were secretly dating or something? I didn't know what else could be wrong with Will that could make him sour for Luke and I?  

I waited for a moment before rapping my knuckles on the wood of the door. I heard shuffling from the other side but Will didn't say anything. I knocked again, hoping Will would respond this time. When he didn't, I decided just to open the door and get on with it.