Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Get up! Rise and shine!" 

I cracked my eyelids open and saw a figure walk into the room. Drearily, I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes. My vision was blurred but I felt something hard against my legs. I kicked it, quickly realising that it was Will's feet and somehow, during the night, our legs had become entwined.  

The figure before me, having stopped in his tracks by the doorway, was Sam. "Whoa," he said, blinking quickly. "What went on in here?" 

Beside me, Will groaned as he stretched, revealing his bare, flexing chest as I pulled away the covers.  

"Huh?" I mumbled, unable to say anything else.  

"Why are you two in the same bed?" Sam's voice sounded borderline accusing.  

Sitting up, suddenly awake, Will said, "I let her sleep in here last night because she couldn't sleep." 

I nodded wearily, confirming.  

"Did you sleep?" 

"Yes!" my voice came out sharp.  

"Just sleep?" 

I rolled my eyes, getting out of the warm covers and trying to get the tangles from my hair. "Jealous much?" I couldn't help it. I was in a bad mood and I was grumpy. It was too early in the morning to do any proper talking. 

Obviously not believing me, Sam's eyebrows raised in Will's direction.  

Swearing loudly, Will got out too and threw on a T-shirt. Oh. I was quite liking looking at his bare chest. "Just chill, Sam. Nothing's going on between Paige and I." 

"You sure?" 

"Positive," Will and I answered at the exact same time, in bored tones.  

A moment later, Sam exited the room, leaving Will and I on our own. "Thanks for letting me stay in your bed last night," I said softly, smiling gratefully. 

"You're welcome." Will ran a hand through his hair. He hesitated for a moment before asking, "Do you want to sleep in here again tonight?" 

I stopped brushing my hair with m fingers in the mirror and looked away, suddenly shy. "Yes, please," I whispered, embarrassed about how scared I was being. 

Will didn't answer. He just nodded, walking over to the bedroom door. "I'll see you at breakfast, Paige." 

"Okay." I heard the door closing behind him a couple of seconds later. 

Moving my gaze from my horrible reflection, I looked at the unmade bed in the centre of the room and breathed through my nose. Silently, I shook my head, wondering whether what on earth the future was going to hold.

* * * * * * *

"Wow!" 

I placed the large newspaper onto the counter and laid it out so I could see the entire picture. I wasn't talking to anyone - my gaze firmly locked on the newspaper page in front of me. It was an exclamatory to myself. I was so shocked to see this article in the paper that I couldn't contain in. Sam, who hadn't yet left for 'business' (yeah, whatever) came and peered over my right shoulder.  

"What?"  

"Look at this!" I said, jabbing my finger in the direction of the picture; the picture of a stunningly silver necklace - very expensive - on a velvet pillow in a grey background - the front headline reading, 'NECKLACE STOLEN!'  

Instead of saying anything, Sam raised his eyebrows in reply. "Hey Seb," he said after a long moment, gesturing for his friend to come over. "Look at this." His tone was much calmer than me, as if he was trying to work something out and needed Seb's help.