3

All the campers were playing manhunt, but except one.

Max.

David knew something was off. He could see it. Max didn't have his bratty attitude. It's like he lost a part of himself or something.

The tall redhead was eager to know what was bothering him, because there was definitely something. People don't just change for no reason, that's for sure.

David told Gwen about his behavior, and Gwen was keeping an eye on him. I mean, she studied psychology, maybe she could figure out what was wrong.

The small boy was sitting in his tent, laying on his back on his bed.

He knew his ass was DEAD the moment he walked into the car.

He couldn't get the memories out of his house out of his head. Bottles shattered and scattered on the hardwood floor, blood spilling from his head, screaming and yelling.

Suddenly he heard a conversation going on outside, catching his attention.

"Gwen..There is definitely some thing wrong with him. Neil told us about..that. What does that even mean though."

Gwen stood there and thought for a moment, seconds later having a surprised to frightened look.

"Remember parents day? Maybe his parents or parent doesn't really..like him..so he you know.." She said making David's eyes wide the second he realized what she was talking about.

David had a sad expression on his face, but mostly worried.

"I'll go in. I'll go talk to him." David said as he turned away from gwen.

"Shit. Did Neil hear me?" Max whispered. "Why would he tell David? "He shouldn't tell anyone without my permission. and that would obviously be fucking NO!" he said as anger rushed through his body. David knew, and he was coming towards max to talk about it. He hated talking about emotions, or any kind of that shit. It made him feel uncomfortable.

His thoughts were interrupted by David barging into his tent.

Max flinched, he knew he was coming in but thoughts flooded his brain, distracting him.

"Hey Maaax! Why don't you play with the other kids?" David said, worried but trying to not show it.

Max was done with Neil's shit, who told him he could say whatever he wants about me without me approving it? he thought.

"Cut the shit, Camp man. What did Neil tell you? Don't even think about lying because I will find out." Max said, his head down but eyes staring straight into David's eyes with anger.

David was caught by surprise, startled that the boy knew.

He didn't want to tell him, but not telling hik would be a worse option. I mean, Neil is terrible at hiding stuff. And he was a bit off these days..

David sighed, knowing that the right thing is telling Max. "Well..he told me about what you said before leaving the tent that night." David said looking down at the bed.

Max looked at him, fighting back tears from what he heard.  He obviously didn't want to go into foster care either.. but staying there is just as terrible.

"Whatever. Why are you here? Just fucking leave, David." Max looked away, staring anywhere but david.

David felt a pressure in his chest. Heartbreak. He was about to cry, but didn't want to make this about him.

"Look, Max. I care about you. I really do. And the only way I can help is tell me what's going on. So please, just trust me." David said, trying to be as heartfelt as possible.

Max wanted the help. He wanted to get out and be free from his house but then again, didn't want foster care. At least at home there was crackers, he thought.

"Fuck you David. I told you, it's fine. Just leave me alone, I don't need your fucking pity." Max said, his eyes watering as he ran out to the woods.

David didn't want to do anything to make him upset, so he let him run. He just sat there on his bed, worried more then ever.