6

TW: self harm.

Max froze in fear remembering the date.

"No way it's tomorrow.." Max muttered under his breath.

He didn't want to believe it. Fear rushed throughout the boys body. He denied to check if it was really real, or he just didn't know the date.

The phone light flashed brightly revealing the date.

August 23rd, just like he thought.

"No... FUCKING no!" Max called out, his voice echoing throughout the camp. His voice surprisingly didn't awake anybody, but worried the awoke.

Neil got up and ran outside to find Max, but no sight of him appeared. Instead. he did his habit. He ran to the counslers cabin to tell David.

Max had ran into the woods, tears falling down his face. He sprinted until his legs gave up on him, tumbling down onto the dirt. He fell on his knees, he brang his arms infront, putting his head down.

"Why me..? I'm just a kid. I wasn't always like this. I wasn't supposted to be like this. Why did they have to ruin me completely? what did i do to deserve that..?" He whispered, his eyes getting more watery every sentence.

He reached into his pocket, grabbing a box cutter he stole from his house a while back.

He sat on down on his butt and pulled up his sleeves. He glared at his wrists.
There was a lot of slashes, some new, some old. He got the box cutter, looked for a place of skin that hasn't been slit before, and slid it across his wrist. as blood spilled out, a tear dropped down from the boys face. He pulled down his sleeve. "I deserve this." Max whispered, trying to force a smile.

His knees were dirty from the fall, most of it being dirt, but a little bit of it being blood from a scrape that got scraped again. He used his arms to push himself up to his feet, brushing off some of the dirt that had stained his pants.

He started to walk towards the place he had always "hated". His head was down, looking at his shoes which were kicking a rock. He pulled out David's phone from his pocket to check the time.

Before, the picture was david and gwen. but max had decided to edit them into their faces looking like shrek and fiona. He smiled at the picture. He looked up to see the time on the screen.

"SIX FUCKING THIRTY??" He yelled as his eyes widened. He began to run so the counslers wouldn't report him as missing...again.

He arrived at the camp trying to catch his breath. But when he looked up, everybody there had their eyes glued onto him.

But one stood out.

David's.

He dropped his cup, and ran towards max.

"MAX!! OH THANK GOODNESS YOUR OKAY!! WE WERE WORRIED SICK!!" David yelled, pulling the boy into a hug.

He didn't even want to let go. He felt safe. He thought that that was the last time he actually would.

And he actually smiled, too. But not like the smile he had looking at his edit of David and Gwen. He smiled genuinely.

He didn't want to let go. I mean, why would he?

But then the thought again repeated in Max's head.

Was this the last time he would feel safe?