Fire Night.

The fire crackles in front of me, warm heat surging into my fingertips and arms. Today's actually going well. Of course, 'well' doesn't come without conditions after the studio. Sure, it would've been nice not to go to court. It would've been nice not to hear that my kid got in a fight at school. A lot of things could've not happened and made my day infinitely better, but they didn't.

What matters now is my family. My 6-year-old who's roasting marshmallows, and my best friend- who is late.

The glass door slides open, and I turn to see the ink demon step out onto my back patio. He grins at me. "How's my favorite marshmallow~?" I fold my arms. "You're late." He scoffs. "Oh come off it, I'm always late. I was more on time tonight than ever, don't get your panties in such a bunch."

I elbow him. "Shut. It. Ben's here. Try to have some sort of filter." I hiss. The twisted toon perks up. "Oh yeah, where is the little gremlin anyway?"

Benjamin waves at him sheepishly, and the demon's whole face lights up at the sight of him. "Hey kid," He finger guns. "You got some paper work from that jail you go to?" He nods solemnly. He turns the marshmallow on the stick, gazing into the flames.

Clearly noting the child's distress, he glances at me briefly, but not long enough to hold eye contact. He clasps his hands. "Great, I'm sure the fire could use some more fuel. I'm just gonna steal your old man real quick- then I'll be back and we can fulfill all of your pyro dreams, sound good?"

The 6-year-old nods, smiling, although he obviously has no idea what 'pyro' means.

The ink demon grabs my arm and leads me into the house. We head upstairs onto the second floor, then go down the hall past Benjamin's room and into mine. He heads into the adjoining bathroom, his hand still around mine. He starts the shower and closes the door.

The smell of cigarette smoke and alcohol burns my nose, evident he just got out of work. He slips behind the shower curtain, the water undoubtedly freezing as it always is when he takes a shower. I sit on the sink counter. The bathroom is quiet, filled with the sound of running water and the demon's humming.

I clear my throat. "Benjamin got in a fight today."

The demon sticks his head out from the curtain, a grin on his face. "Really?" I roll my eyes. "You say that like you're proud." He shrugs. "Ok, what's the proper reaction then, 'well, shit'? What happened to the lil' gremlin anyway?"

I sigh in frustration. "The school told me they didn't know how the fight got started, but when I picked him up he had a paper clip embedded in his shoulder."

"Oh." the demon says, slipping back behind the curtain. "Well, that must've hurt like a bitch. D'ya know if the kid fought back?"

I put a hand over my eyes. "You're missing the point here." He laughs. "Point? Sorry, there's a point? Please inform me on the subject." I huff. "The point is, that our- your child- got into a fight."

"And what exactly, do tell shortcake, am I supposed to do about it?" He snorts, though his tone is somewhat affronted.

I pause. "I- I don't know- talk to him about it?" He laughs again. "And what do I say to the kid? Hey, don't fight those sacrilegious prudes kiddo, turn the other cheek and let them beat ya. It worked out well for- oh wait, the guy who made that sayin' got killed."

"In case ya don't remember, I'm not the guy you go to for parental advice." He deadpans. "I have killed over dozens of people and work at the strip. Half of the time I'm parenting myself, and even I know not to listen to me."