Sometimes the Real Monsters are the Ones Closest to You

Lunch came by quicker than expected. When the bell rang signaling the time period we could eat, Nico and I were in math. I quickly jumped up out of my seat, grabbed his hand and rushed out of the room and away from the confusing math terms.

Nico laughed as he followed me. "Where are we going?"

I led him to my locker where I threw my books into and grabbed my lunch money. "We, are going to lunch. I for one, am famished." I closed my locker. "Alright my little shadow. Follow and learn." I began to walk through the halls towards the already bustling cafeteria.

Nico took one look at the growing line and gulped. "Is this what the cafeteria is like everyday?"

I nodded grabbing us a tray. "Yup. I guess schools in New York have shorter lines."

He frowned. "What?"

"Your school in New York. It must have way shorter lines than the ones here in Colorado."

"Oh yeah. Right. Way shorter lines," he said laughing nervously.

I frowned but shrugged it off advancing in the line. I looked back at Nico as I grabbed a root beer off the shelf. "So what are you going to get?"

He frowned. "I can't get anything. I don't have any money."

I smiled. "It's alright. I've got you covered," I said holding up my star-covered wallet.

"Are you sure?" he asked frowning.

I nodded. "Yeah. If it'll get you to come to this school. It'd really suck if I lost new friend because he lived on the other side of the country."

He looked at me with his big dark eyes. "F-Friend?"

I nodded. "Yeah. You seem like a really nice guy. I'd like it if you were my friend."

He smiled. "I'd like that too." He grabbed a coke off the shelf and stepped ahead in line with me to the food section.

I looked over the counter at the lunch lady, Ms. Dina. "Hi," I said cheerfully.

Ms. Dina smiled. "Ah, hello there Shelby. What would you like today?"

I scanned the food choices. "Hmm, can I get the chicken strips please?"

She pieced the tray together and handed it to me. "I hope you enjoy it."

"Thank you!" I called as I progressed down the line.

Nico grabbed an Italian sub from the sandwich counter and we proceeded to the end of the line.

At the register I entered in my student ID and reached into my wallet.

Ms. Leanne smiled at me. "Hello, Shelby!" She started inputting our meals. "Just the two lunches and drinks?"

I nodded. "Please. And I have money to put into my account." I pulled out a couple bills and handed them to her.

She tapped on the register and the drawer popped open. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh!" I looked back at Nico and smiled. "This is Nico! He's shadowing here today."

She smiled at him. "Well then. I hope you come to school here."

Nico nodded. "It's a strong possibility."

"Good. I look forward to seeing you here with Shelby." She finished our order and smiled. "Have a good day you two."

"And you as well!" I picked up my food and led Nico out of line.

"So you get along well with the lunch ladies?" he questioned as we walked through the lunch room.

I nodded. "Yeah. I always like asking them how they're doing and how their day was. Lunch ladies are seriously under appreciated these days and I like acknowledging them. Truth be told lunch ladies are probably the nicest people you will ever meet."