On The Road Again

"Have you chosen your companions?" Chiron asked as he stood in front of me in his horse form.

I nodded. "Yes. I want to bring Nico di Angelo."

"Only him?" Chiron asked curiously.

I nodded. "I'm still confused about who I was, er, am and he's the only one that I trust at this point in time. I don't remember anything yet and he's been the only thing solid."

"But typically three heroes are chosen for a quest. It would be breaking tradition."

I smiled. "Since when have I ever listened to tradition?"

-----.-.-----

I stood on top of Half-Blood Hill with Nico at my side.

He sighed. "On the road again aren't we? Reminds me of our first quest together. It was only the two of us together then too."

I looked at him clueless.

He closed his eyes almost as if he were imagining the two of us in our exact same situation but littler.

I tried to picture it to, but nothing came to mind. "Gods I'm so nervous."

"I know, but we are going to rock this quest." His tone of voice made it sound like he was trying to convince himself of it as well.

"You don't sound so sure."

"I'm trying to." He cracked a small smile that lit up his face.

I could see how I would have fallen for him if had always smile at me like that. "Well thank you."

He took a deep breath. "Let's go." He jogged down the hill toward the waiting strawberry van.

I followed and climbed in. "Hey Argus."

The multi-eyed man nodded at me in a greeting.

I still hadn't gotten over the fact that eyes covered his body. When I had first seen him the other day I almost had a heart attack.

He smiled at me.

Nico climbed in after me and closed the door. "Okay, let's go."

Argus stepped in the gas and we drove off down the road.

I wiped my sweaty palms against my pants. "Are we seriously doing this?"

Nico nodded. "Yep. We're on the road again."

"How many quest have we done together?" I asked gazing out the window.

"Too many to count," he answered smiling. "Something horrible me always happened, but then we'd turn it into a joke later. I remember this one time on a quest in Maine, you slipped on a patch of ice while fighting a monster and went down screaming 'ice.' It later became our 'ice' joke."

I snickered. "The 'ice' joke?"

He nodded and pulled out a road map. "Okay. Now it's time we talk about the prophecy."

I nodded and looked at it with him. "Let's see."

"So we already know that something big is in the underworld. To a place where spirits dwell is where the power of destruction will be locked in its cell." His brow furrowed. "I think that what ever this destruction is is what we're trying to contain." He paused. "But what does Chaos have to do with this? Chaos is right around the river bend."

I nodded. "I'm not really certain, but what if the destructive power is Chaos? I mean, it'd make sense."

"You're right. Chaos is, well, chaotic. From all the myths I've read, Chaos would do anything to destroy order. He got so out of control with his destruction that your mother, Nyx, locked him away."

I frowned. "My mom can do that?"

Nico nodded. "She was quite a powerful deity."

"Was?"

"N-not that she still isn't, but subduing Chaos took so much power from her that her very essence was scattered. There's a reason that you're her only child. It took her several millennia to muster up enough being to even sire you." A faint blush dusted his cheeks.

"Okay! We don't need all the details."
I laughed. "But other than that, we really don't know what we're supposed to do on this quest."

"Unfortunately that's how most quests start."

We rode in silence to Manhattan. Once there, Argus pulled up to a parking lot and parked the van. He reached into his compartment and grabbed a stack of mortal money and a leather pouch filled to the brim with gold drachmas for mythical transactions. He handed the currency to Nico and passed two backpacks filled with essentials to me.

I nodded in gratitude. "Thank you Argus."

He smiled and nodded in response before pulling out and driving away.

I looked around. "What now?"

***
I don't know why, but this chapter seemed quite hard. Must have been because at the same time I was plotting out what the prophecy would mean which took forever.

Don't worry I'm not going to spoil it for you.

My brain was buzzing just thinking about it. I have the best idea ever thanks to a boy in my class who asked to be a character in my story. Again no spoilers, but keep your eyes peeled.

So I really hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Sorry I don't have much to say tonight, but I'm exhausted.

So like always, please vote and comment and I will see you in the next chapter!