Starry Night

We snuck out of the hotel using hoodies and a fire escape leaving money for our stay and key cards on made beds. My wounds had healed enough to where it was just a scar across my chest thanks to the nectar and ambrosia.

I descended the metal latter into Nico's waiting arms. "Thanks for catching me."

"Would I ever drop you?"

"Have you in the past?"

"Once or twice."

I laughed.

"Hey lovebirds!" Chase called from the window. "Catch!" He tossed down our back packs.

I snatched mine out of the air and slung it over my shoulder. "You coming, Sunshine?" I called.

"Yeah." He climbed down the fire escape. "And for the record," he said landing next to me, "don't call me Sunshine, like ever again."

I clapped him on the back. "You've got it, Sunny."

He grinned. "I ordered train tickets online last night. It leaves in an hour."

"Which is how long it will take us to walk to the station," I said begrudgingly.

"Let's go!" Chase said with a grin.

The three of us made our way to the station with out drawing attention to us and keeping our heads low.

I made it into a game not to step on the cracks in the sidewalk and kick every single pebble I came across.

Nico about cursed like a sailor when I shoved him to the side to kick a pebble he was about to step on. He calmed down when I told him about my little game and made sure to steer away from any little rocks.

Chase watched us with mild amusement as I continue to leap over cracks and kick at little rocks, especially when I tripped.

As my eyes scanned the path in front of me, I saw something concerning.

Cracks were forming randomly and rapidly. The entire sidewalk seemed to be crumbling. Little sections of the side walk caved in at the smallest weight.

"Nico!" I called coming to a stop.

He stopped beside me. "What's wrong."

I pointed at the side walk.

Chase crouched down and inspected it. "Things are worse than I feared. Chaos is closer to freedoms than I anticipated. His power is effecting the foundation of Earth. We must watch out step from now on."

"Well that doesn't sound promising," I mumbled as we continued walking. I stuffed my hands into my pockets.

Nico looked at me. "I know that look. Don't worry. We'll complete the quest in time."

I nodded and took another step.

The concrete beneath me caved in and my leg sank in.

I lost my footing and fell to the ground with a thud. "Ah!"

"Shelby!" Nico called as he stopped abruptly.

"I'm alright," I said pulling myself out of the rubble.

"Another example of why we need to be careful," Chase said.

"Got it."

We hurried over to the train station and boarded the engine.

"Where does this take us?" I asked getting comfortable.

"Denver," Chase answered.

I froze for a split second. "Colorado?"