Strangers

"I can assure you the actions that lead to the quake three weeks ago that shook our land will not happen again, the issues have been resolved and I apologize for any hardships

"I can assure you the actions that lead to the quake three weeks ago that shook our land will not happen again, the issues have been resolved and I apologize for any hardships. I have sent for resources and help that should be arriving within the hour, it was an unfortunate and unseen event and I take all responsibility. I am truly ashamed and embarrassed by my actions and I ask for your humble forgiveness."

It was a rehearsed speech that I meant every word of although I knew my words could not fix the hurt I had caused.

"I can say proudly I have gained control of my newfound power and can reassure you this will never happen again. I have sent a forgiveness letter to everyone's accounts alongside a ten thousand cresent balance."

Cheers roared threw out my courtyard and I smiled politely and bowed, even throwing a kiss or two out to the sea of people before turning and walking back into my home.

A large huff left my lungs of relief as my handmaiden smiled in approval and began to help me take the large crown off my head. I hated wearing that crown, it was gorgeous but felt like a mass of stone was on my head.
The large and tall crown glittered against the pillow it now rests on. White feathers radiated a glow against the silver and pale purple jewels that were breathtaking but it felt as if it shouldn't be with me.

Or maybe I didn't want it to be. I craved to be in the solitude of my room as I dismissed everyone from the kitchen and began to plunder the cabinets.

The first cabinet held nothing of interest, not the second but as I opened the third my throat tightened.
There sat an unopened bottle of witches duo.

"I shouldn't..."

My mind raced with memories and unknown to me at first a small smile fell on my lips. "Fuck it."

Grabbing the bottle I pulled the cork out and placed my nose against the opening. A sweet and tart aroma invaded my senses and I quickly tipped it back taking a rather large drink.
With a snap of a finger, heavy music began to fill the kitchen and I breathed a sigh of contentment.

I had about halfway through the bottle before I know it and danced around my large kitchen belting harsh words when I felt a shiver run up my spine.

"This seems oddly familiar kitten."
I turned and attempted to glare as Ares leaned against the counter beside me. His arrogant grin and raised eyebrow began to form a giggle in my throat and I covered my mouth.

"What's wrong? Am I bothering you, Katerina?" How did I say no without lying? Because just his mere presence was lighting my insides on fire. The inked arms that were uncovered setting my nerve endings on edge. His voice was touching a part of my soul I wished to turn off.

"Yes." it spilled out of my mouth and when I noticed his body stiffen I giggled and took a long swig of the bottle. Liquid bravery, that's all it was and it was clouding my mind ever so heavily. My body moved on impulse in front of his and leaned closer on my tiptoes. If I staggered I didn't know it as I took a deep breath in and out.