Let me out

She was exhausted

She was exhausted. Slouched and breathing as if she had run twenty marathons. She was tired but still fighting and I felt a sense of pride swell in my chest for her strength and bravery. I didn't dare speak or walk forward as she recovered. Katerina was almost at a breaking point and she didn't even realize it. Her spirit was strong, and her soul radiated power and determination, but cracks within it still needed rest and healing. 

"Why?" 

Her voice was small, weak, and childlike. Her knees shook, and her body was trembling in an attempt to stay upright. My soul ached for her but Katerina was not ready. Onyx had said a week but I wasn't sure this child would be ready.

"Katerina... I know it is hard to understand but please try. You are not ready."

A sobbed breath escaped her form before I saw the last of her strength crumble. Her small body gave out, crashing against the floor of her mind and her soul began to show more cracks. In that moment I made my mind up, this child was not ready to merge with my being any time shortly, She needed much more healing than I had first felt. 

"I will stop the drinking Katerina but you must stop fighting me. I can heal your body in seconds but your soul is broken..."

Making my way to her form, I felt tears escape my own eyes as I knelt down in front of her broken form.  She trembled before me, her hands and knees sinking into the black flooring below us. Physically she looked pale but whole, it was her inner self that was fractured at the deepest level. Electricity coursed through me as I placed my palms on her face and raised her head to look at me.

I willed as much peace as I could to push into her but she had a wall built that was defending her soul. "Katerina... You are safe I promise." Her eyes, hollow as a decaying tree opened to look at me, making my body freeze in fright. She was broken. "Let me out, please." Silent tears poured out of those eyes and tore at my heart as I watched her silently sob in agony. 

"I can't. I have to protect you. There is much to come, Katerina."

Her form went limp in total defeat and rested against my own. Katerina's fight was over. She was at her limits and I sighed as I rubbed her hair away from her face. 

"I have to protect you, my sweet Katerina... I have to protect Ares. I have to protect you all. Please let me." It was a whisper against her ear but I felt her heartbeat slow and let out a breath of relief. Maybe she was coming to understand.

"This is bigger than us."

Wrapping my arms around her small form my mind ached with sorrow for her soul. She had been through so much more than we had asked any other creature to endure, it was destiny, something so strong it could not be stopped even by my hands. Onyx knew what he was doing, I had to keep the faith that he knew this was for the best as I rubbed my hands up and down her back in a soothing way the best I could.

"Yes, my daughter... This is bigger than us." Her shoulder trembled once more before I felt all resistance leave her soul and it went still with understanding or maybe it was simply acceptance. Either way, my time in her mind was over and I slowly released her rubbing my hands along her jaw in a motherly way as she looked up at me with those broken pale eyes.

"I must go now, Ares is losing his mind... Is there anything you wish me to tell him, honey? Anything, You say it and I will repeat it I promise."

For a brief second, I saw a small light in those empty irises making me smile. Her small form stretched up in her best attempt to reach my ear and I giggled as I bent down further so she could reach me. Her small and short words cut through my guilt and sorrow like a hot knife through butter as a smile reached my face and I nodded at her.

She truly was a wonderful daughter. Katerina, such a beautiful soul Onyx had crafted. She was so much stronger than even I had given her credit for, her body was weak but her soul Onyx had made sure that was solid.

"I will tell him... Rest, heal, and mend that soul daughter, for your time to awaken will not be much longer. I promise with my whole being to protect everyone and everything you love dear."

I leaned in, placing a soft kiss on her cool forehead as I felt my presence being drawn back into the world. Light invaded the darkness, voices filling the quiet and I raised with a dull pain in the back of my head.

"Oh!! My Majastey, are you okay?!"

"You better not do that shit again!!!"

I raised an eyebrow and smirked at their voices meshing together. Both are full of concern but shown in different ways. Grace came rushing over with a glass of water while Ares paced back and forth constantly glancing over at me.

"Ares."

He stilled instantly before looking over at me, his eyebrows frowned together and caution laced his eyes. I smiled as I stood up, making my way to him. I needed a shower, food, and to relay Katerina's message before the truly hard times began.

His body was rigid but magic and anxiety were wafting off in waves. I gripped his shoulder as I went past, raising off the heels of my feet to reach his ear. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face as I felt his entire mood and posture shift with her message.

His eyes were wide and his tear lines filling. Ares brushed me off before turning and leaving the room without a word or looking in my direction. I couldn't stop the giggle that escaped me.

Katerina, you sly little girl.