iii.

A surprise

A surprise.

"ARE YOU SURE YOU'VE PREPARED EVERYTHING?"

For the nth time, you worriedly asked the young boy in front of you, who was busy rummaging in his bag to look for a certain book he himself had written. The boy did not bother replying to you but instead focused on scurrying on each bag you had prepared.

"Aha!" He exclaimed, eyes glowing brightly at the sight of his book, "There it is! I seriously thought I'd lose this."

You clicked your tongue but smiled a little after witnessing his relieved grin. You decided to once again recount the amount of luggage with you, pointing fingers at each of them and muttering numbers from number one until it ended with four. Your lips gave a small relieved smile before finally preparing for the boat at the docks to arrive.

The gradient mixture of royal blue and yellow had always been majestic in the early mornings and the fresh wind drifted from nowhere to everywhere. You smiled, although not an early bird, you've always loved traveling during dawn.

Supposedly, you were to arrive at Galseong Hill but it still wasn't really confirmed. Hopefully, they'd drop you off near Monstandt City itself.

"(Y/N), they're late! Where are they?" Your younger brother, who was now sitting criss-cross on one of the luggage, complained.

"I don't know..." You trailed off, "... We should probably wait for a few more minutes. Are you hungry? Should we ask Xiangling for food first?"

He shook his head, "No not that. I kinda wanna play with Lulu."

You gave him a pat on the head and softly replied, "You'll have a lot of friends in Monstandt just as you had in here."

His soft grin became his only reply, looking up at you and snuggling underneath your hand which was ruffling his head.

A few more seconds passed before a particular blonde traveler and her loyal floating friend arrived.

You were beyond delighted with the great offer that seemed too good to be true and decided to hand them over the original copy of your book, which they gladly accepted.

However, your bright grin morphed into a worried frown upon seeing their... Rather awkward smiles and tense shoulders. They couldn't even look straight into your eyes. Paimon was waving her hand but quite hesitant with that.

It troubled your mind. Are they finally realizing how much of a great burden letting you join?

"H-hi! Erm, so uh, we should go now huh?" Paimon twiddled with her fingers, her eyes burning holes on her petite hands as if looking at your eyes directly would melt her.