Chapter 6 - A Lucky Surprise For Nolan

"Dad?" Charlie asked his father. "Why aren't you at work?"

"Well, Charlie, uh, the toothpaste factory thought they'd give me a bit of time off." Mr. Bucket replied.

"Like summer vacation?" Charlie inquired further.

"Sure, something like that." Mr. Bucket answered.

In fact, it wasn't like a vacation at all. The sudden uprise in candy sales had led to a rise in cavities, which led to a rise in toothpaste sales. With the extra funds the company decided to modernise, employing a machine to screw caps. This meant that Mr. Bucket wouldn't be needed any longer, and he was dismissed.

"We were barely making ends meet as it was." Mr. Bucket stated to his wife as she was hanging the clothes up on the line to dry.

"It'll be alright, you'll find another job." Mrs. Bucket tried to be optimistic. "Until then, I'll just... well, I'll just thin down the soup a little more. Don't worry, love. Our luck will change, I know it."

Nolan and his father were out running errands, and they decided to test their luck a second time. The day before, Nolan had bought two Wonka bars expecting to find a flash of gold, but this was a futile attempt. So, on their way back home, they stopped to get two bars each, just to see what happened. As they pulled in, Nolan was jumping with excitement, but Mr. Connelly kindly reminded him of the greater chance that there could be nothing hidden in any of them.

After their dinner was finished, Nolan and his parents gathered at the dining room table with the four bars. Nolan's hands were shaking, so Mr. Connelly offered to open the first one.

No luck there.

Mrs. Connelly tried the second one, with the same result.

Nolan managed to open the third one. Nothing.

"Alright, last one." Mrs. Connelly stated. "Remember, no matter what happens, you'll still have the candy."

Nolan nodded, and grabbed the last bar of chocolate, tearing at the wrapper and shutting his eyes tightly.

He still didn't open them even after the bar was opened.

"See anything?" He asked, but there was no response.

Nolan finally opened his eyes very slowly to see his mother with her eyes wide and her hands over her mouth, and his father with a huge grin on his face.

Nolan finally looked down.

There it was.

Nolan Connelly had found the fifth Golden Ticket.

It didn't take long for the press to find out about the discovery. Mr. Connelly had immediately put in a call to the New York Times, and pretty soon many cameramen and reporters were all crowded in the big Manhattan apartment where the Connelly family lived.

Mrs. Bucket had turned on the television that evening so the whole Bucket family could hear the news.

"We're live right now in New York City with the fifth ticket finder, a boy named Nolan Connelly." The female reporter stated. "We are also joined by his mother Lyla Connelly, cellist for the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, and his father Louis Connelly, Grammy-winning singer, songwriter and musician. Nolan, how does it feel to be the winner of the fifth Golden Ticket?"

"Honestly, man, it's pretty wild." Nolan responded. "It was incredibly unexpected, but you know, I'm super lucky to have found one of these since I've admired Mr. Wonka's work for years. Sometimes his genius, it's almost frightening!"

"How did you find your Golden Ticket, may I ask?"

"I was just out running errands with my dad!" Nolan replied, causing many of the men and women to laugh in response. "That was it! Like, we didn't even know what was gonna happen! But, we decided to test our luck, all of us. Dad and I went out and bought two bars each, just to see what would happen, and the very last one I opened just so happened to contain a Golden Ticket! It's insane!"