Chapter 17 - Veruca's Nutty Situation

The four children and their parents were led by Mr. Wonka to a door on their left hand side. The name on the door read Nut Sorting Room.

"Ah, this is a room I'd know all about." Mr. Salt spoke up as they stopped outside the door. "For you see, Mr. Wonka, I myself am in the nut business."

He pulled out a business card from the inside of his suit jacket and handed it to Mr. Wonka, who took it and threw it over his shoulder when Mr. Salt wasn't looking.

Mr. Salt turned back to face him. "Are you using the Havermax 4000 to do your sorting?"

"No," replied the chocolatier with a chuckle. "You're really weird."

With that, he led them inside.

The first thing they noticed upon entry was that the room was very well lit, with large white LEDs on the ceiling. The group walked into a large viewing deck, where there was a fence with a gate. The gate was obviously locked, but they could see a small staircase leading down to the main room.

 The gate was obviously locked, but they could see a small staircase leading down to the main room

Veruca noticed that the main room was built in a perfect circle. At each of the corners of the room were long tables with what looked like bar stools along them.

But the most intriguing part about the room to her was this.

Standing atop every stool was an animal of sorts, but it wasn't until she had walked up to the fence that Veruca realised what they were.

"Squirrels!" The British girl exclaimed.

"Yeah!" Mr. Wonka affirmed. "These squirrels are specially trained to get the nuts out of shells."

"Mr. Salt," Nolan intervened. "I'm pretty sure what Mr. Wonka meant by calling you weird is that he prefers to have nuts sorted... the old-fashioned way."

Mr. Salt nodded in understanding.

Nolan could see what would be perhaps best described as a nut waterfall, or rather a "nutfall".

The nuts dropped from a big bottlenecked tube in the ceiling into a huge tub, which had big pipes attached to it. These pipes would then transfer the nuts into several glass containers suspended above the long tables. These containers would then in turn feed the nuts out to the squirrels so they could be sorted properly.

It was quite the fancy affair, so excuse me for a second while I do some maths.

There were:

4 tables in the room;

4 glass containers per table;

6 tubes per glass container that would feed the nuts out; and

24 stools and 24 squirrels per table.

This made a total of 96 squirrels in the Nut Sorting Room.

Yes, I counted.

"Why use squirrels?" Mr. Connelly asked. "Why not use Oompa-Loompas?"