Chapter One

"The thought of him not getting married at this age is giving me sleepless nights," Lessie said in a calm tone, lowering her eyebrows, then pulling them close together. 

For a few seconds, the room was so quiet that one could hear the drop of a pin. 

Mr. Maverick gazed into the portrait of his only child, Juan. Furtively watching the portrait. One could think he wasn't on good terms with Lessie, hence the reason for not replying to her. He was lost in thought.

" Honey! Honey!!Honey!!!"

"Ye, yee yes dear. Maverick answered like someone who had been caught in the act of offensive behavior.  He sighed heavily, and placed his two hands on his chubby cheeks, beating his two toes against the floor.

" Darling, honestly speaking, our son's attitude had become a thorn in my flesh.  It's a bit beyond my ken. Nobody understands him anymore" He added while dialing a number on his mobile phone, flaring his nostrils outward. 

"Hell..Hello, Juan, your attention is needed in the living room immediately". " This lad wants to drag my face on the mud". He said, squinting his eyes as he hung up the call. 

The living room was oblong shaped, huge, graced with a western-style sofa, a large painting of an eagle on the wall, and other eye-catchy interior decorations. The painting was bought by Mr. Maverick on one of his numerous business trips. Naturally, he is melancholy. To him, eagles hardly make noise about their success, yet achieve a lot.

A few minutes later, Juan walked in as the conversation between his parents was still ongoing. His athletic body and brown hair brought out his unique nature, revealing how handsome he was.

He is 6'8 inches in height, with weird eye color, and cute dimples with a mouth curved into a smile.

"Hi, Dad, hi, mom" Juan greeted.

"Hi, son," Lessie replied, adjusting her knee-length pink gown. "Have a seat" She told Juan, rolling her brown eyes. 

From Mr. Maverick's look, one could confidently tell that he is burning in anger. He was silent on Juan when he entered. To him, he might not get to meet his grandchild before he dies. His son is about to clock 40 years and has yet to find a soul mate. Always pretends to be very busy with work and does not have time for any woman but himself. His father knew all the flimsy excuses he gives to cover up and avoid being constantly reminded to get married. Being the founder and CEO of Maverick and Son company, a high technology company, he had made enough wealth that could sustain his next two generations, so he couldn't fathom the reason behind Juan's inability to find a life partner. The money is already there, so what could be the barrier? Using work as an excuse doesn't add up and he knew that.

"Dad," Juan called, pulling his mouth tightly. "You aren't talking to me" 

"Are you troubled by anything?" He queried.

"Your father is very mad at you" Lessie cut in. "Son, when are you getting married?" "Do you know that……?"

"Gosh, not again!" Juan exclaimed, trying to get up from his chair. Deep down, he knew that age is no longer on his side, approaching a woman is one of his nightmares. He spent most of his life abroad reading, both from his phone and his laptop. Though he came from a wealthy family and was the only heir apparent of his father's company, he didn't slack in working hard. "Diligent pays" he always admonishes his friends. Letting his father's company fumble due to incapability is one thing he never wanted to experience, hence he vowed to give in his best.

"Where the hell do you think you are going?" Thundered Mr. Maverick, a 6'5 inches in height man with short brown hair, chubby cheeks, and a thick body. He always speaks confidently whenever he wants to make his point clear.