Oblivion - Part 15

The more we drive, the more I can let go of the forced control. I feel more and more relaxed and less forced into corners I don't want to be in. At our second stop it was lunch time. We stopped at the market square in the middle of a village. Jake parked the bike in front of a restaurant with a patio for outdoor seating. Glad that I can stretch my legs I get off the bike, I take off my helmet and shake away the stiffness in my legs, Jake follows and stretches his back a bit. "I like riding a motorcycle a lot but riding for such a long time is killing for my back" he stretches a few more times. Then grabs his helmet and bag.

Together we walk onto the patio and look for a good spot with a view of the square. I put my bag on the floor between us and my helmet on my seat. "Would you please order our lunch?" I ask him as I put my hand on his shoulder before entering the restaurant to find the restroom. After I finished on the toilet and washed my hands, I splashed some water on my face. It was warm in my helmet and I noticed that I was starting to doze off a bit and the cold water made me feel a bit alert again.

We stayed for a while to enjoy the weather and the view over the square, after we had eaten our lunch. In the middle of the square is a fountain, children play with the water, the elderly sit in the shade of the trees that surround the square. "This reminds me so much of the market square in Duskwood." I say to Jake "Would it be like that there too?". He stares at me without saying a word. "What?" I shrug my shoulders and with my hands I gesture that I do not understand why he is looking at me that way. "It reminds you..." his smile is so loving and soft. "Oh indeed. You know what else I know, that I thought you were a jerk for not being empathetic after Jessy was attacked." I pretend I'm still angry and then imitate "Facts are more important" in his voice and immediately stick out my tongue so he knows I'm teasing him. "Hey! In my defense, the facts were more important!" he sticks his tongue out back at me. We both burst into laughter. "I'm glad you remember something again." he says when we're done laughing. "You know, I think it's because I don't try to force myself anymore. I feel free, relaxed, like a mask I've worn so long is finally falling off." I let out a sigh to release the last bit of tension. "Shall we continue driving?" I suggest. He smiles again and nods in agreement. "With all the worries he had about his pursuers, I never thought he could laugh so much. I'm glad those worries are over for him now." I think to myself when I see him put on his helmet, but I don't say anything about my thoughts and that this time I realize I'm remembering something.

We greet the owner when we enter the reception. "You're lucky, I was actually fully booked. But an hour ago I got a cancellation. It's summer time you see, then it's always very busy." says Mrs. Walter. Jake and I look at each other, both the same question on our faces 'Do you mind sharing a room?' I turn back to the woman. "We're happy to take the room. We've been driving all day and I'm glad I can freshen up." I smile at her.

We had agreed to make the last stop quick and then continue to our final destination. About eight o'clock we drove past the first sign that indicated the village of Duskwood and half an hour later we were standing in front of the reception entrance of the motel with our helmets in hand. "Hey, is that Alfie?" I whispered to Jake. "That's what it looks like." he whispers back. "No shit, all that gossip is going around" I whisper again. We see a boy of about eleven twelve years old next to the entrance, in ripped pants and a mud-stained tshirt, playing with a red fire truck. I can hear the voices of Jessy and Richy in my mind, complaining about Thomas breaking that car and how angry Old Gray was. It makes me a little sad when I think about how much fun it was back then with Richy, how everything seemed to be fine. I decide not to say anything about it, and if Jake already realized I remember something, he doesn't say anything either.