Oblivion - Part 28

I sat down on the floor, leaning my back against the wall, in the shade. I had to come up with something cunning, something unexpected, something all three men didn't see coming. Suing Ulric would be the easiest because Dr. Millward has full evidence of medical misconduct. All I have to do is get a new prescription, whereupon Dr. Barret admits he has send them, this is how I got the pills for years. Alan, on the other hand, is trickier, even though I know him well, tricking him into making a confession is going to be difficult. His mind is usually sharp, except when Jake opens the door. I laugh to myself at the thought of him stammering. And then we have Richy. No idea how long he'll be in jail. But it won't be long without the evidence against him. Except my statement but that alone isn't enough, especially now that I broke his nose.

Deep in my mind, I scroll across the internet, looking for interrogation methods, when Jake squats in front of me and puts a hand on my knee. I look up still half in thought. "Haven't you eaten anything yet?" he sounds a bit concerned. "No, I didn't really had the chance. Why?" I ask him in return. "Oh just because I hear your stomach growling from where I was standing." he raises his eyebrow in disbelief. "Then let's get something to eat." he stands up, walks to the pile of chopped logs. Grabs his shirt and with his back to me stretches a few times. In the meantime I was already standing "Hey, can you just not do that?" I raise my voice a bit at him as if he's done something wrong. Bewildered, he looks at me "With what? What am I doing?". "Well with that!" with my outstretched arm and open hand, I point him from head to toe. "I think three showers in one day is a bit much." I giggled. He rolled his eyes, but smiled. Then put his arm around me and we walk back to the motel.

After we told Old Gray that the wood to be chopped was ready, theb Jake had quickly refreshed himself in the motel room, we went into town for breakfast, which had become lunch by now. Jake didn't realize it, but I was falling behind, he was walking faster than me, as if there were no more places at the restaurant where we wanted to eat something. As we pass an alley and I got ready to get catch up to Jake, I was grabbed by two hands and pulled into it. I wanted to scream at Jake, but I was silenced by a blow to the back of the head. The world turned and went dark.

"What have you done moron!" I hear, when I open my eyes. "What else should I have done, huh?" the irritations were clearly audible, but so was the panic. "Well nothing! You should have left it to me, instead of impulsively kidnapping someone and not just anyone, but her!" the voices came closer "Do you have any idea who she is with? Do you have any idea who arrested you?" there was a pause and some murmuring "No indeed you don't know! He's not just any cop, he's from the BND. They can make us disappear off the face of the earth for no reason at all. And now, now you've given them one of the biggest reason you can think of, you kidnapped his wife!! What do you think is going to happen?" the voices were now so close it was as if they were in the room where I was sitting. I look at where I am and see that my wrists and ankles were duct taped to the chair I sit on. Luckily my mouth was free so that I could breathe normally. I inspect the room, but can't quite place where I am. The arguing came from the other side of the door, which was behind me. I didn't get a chance to look any further because the door flew open. "Better just shut up and let me take over from here!" Alan's voice could be heard clearly. "Yes, but I do want revenge, have you seen my nose?" Richy complains to him. "Sure! And if you continue like this, I'll make it even more skewed!" Alan threatens him. Then they walk into the room together and come stand face to face with me. I take a deep breath, I don't want them to see that I'm actually a bit scared, even though being pissed off too. So I ignore that knot in my stomach and sit up straighter, with my chin up provocative. And to make them panic even further, I feed that fire just a little more. "Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into by kidnapping me like that?". "Why? Do you think we're scared?" it's Richy who answers me. "Oh I think you're scared, Richy. Do you really think you're going to get away with this?" I raise my eyebrow. "As if you can do something.. you're stuck to a chair." he mocks me with his smile. "I never said I'm going to do anything. But what I'm saying is that we wanted to do it legally and kindly, but I don't think that's the case anymore." I give him a dark smile back. The moment his face twisted in shock, the knot in my stomach disappeared, something dark raised up in me, a feeling of willing to fight no matter the costs. Alan was much less impressed next to him.

"You two thought you knew me, that you could mold my character into your own image." I paused to get the words across. "Richy, you thought you had me wrapped around your finger. And that only through text messages? Are you really that dumb?" I turn to Alan "And you never thought about what would happen if I got my memory back? You're either incredibly stupid or you're tired of life. It doesn't matter to me though, you're going down anyway."